Agnostic.com

2 3

Four Habits of Discipline My SEAL Dad Taught Me. Apply these to help you in life.

Excellent advice. This son has a great attitude.

As a liberal "tree-hugger," I always thought military men were controlling jerks.

But as a night owl, he's right about the value of getting up early.

Your thoughts?

[medium.com]

LiterateHiker 9 May 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've known a number of SOF (Special Operations Forces) guys in my life, and to a man they were the furthest thing from braggadocious. They're well aware of their abilities, and don't need to seek trouble. Most are wiry as opposed to musclebound ... picture the sculpted physique of a professional rock climber. They lead by example, not by barking commands, and are fully devoted to the mission and the team. Their training is much more than physically demanding, as it requires a psychological and emotional discipline that is either buried deeply within, or doesn't exist.

My dad was not a seal and he always taught me valuable common sense lessons: be punctual, treat others like you want to be treated (golden rule), always help others if you are in a position to help, eat anything you want but always in moderation because even the healthiest of foods in excess will harm you and, finally, if you do the above your body will respond positively.

You are fortunate to have had a father who taught you those lessons. My grandfather served the role you've described, and he focused on golden rule living. If only everyone lived by that philosophy.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:496565
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.