Agnostic.com

12 4

This Monday is an anniversary for the biggest blowhard in our country – Mt. St. Helens.

The Mount St. Helens Institute will have programs for this 40th anniversary with Bill Nye as moderator. There will be a program later today and a YouTube video on Monday May 18th.
[mshinstitute.org]
For a short view of the eruption:

Where were you when this event happened?

JackPedigo 9 May 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can hear a certain person saying "It's not my responsibility."

I've heard stories of scientists and many people not making it back after the blast. Back in the 80's this was the big incident that everyone was talking about - because it resulted in huge consequences for people and various communities.

I was home in Spain, my uncle Chuck was flying the power lines for GE close to Mt. St. Helens. He radioed in a report when he saw the first plums of ash. He was ask to fly closer and get some video of what was happening.

The ash was so abrasive, it ate the turbine blades of his engines, did so much damage they were not even cores good enough to rebuild. Many hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of damage to a German built Helicopter.

Uncle Chuck flew with Yeager & Pard Hoover in WWII, flew in Korea and Vietnam, was sent to Sydney to teach the folks down under how to fly Helicopters and still had time to sail his 41' boat around the world.

Someone called BS on one of his stories in a Marina in France during a Paris Air Show. Uncle Chuck made one call and 2 hours a Messerschmitt Bo105 landed at the marina heliport to fetch us and take us to the Air Show. Turned out Uncle Chuck was the test pilot for MBB when it was certified for single pilot instrument operation and well loved at MBB factory. He was also a great cook, the Germans insisted that he make Tamales. Where they found Corn Husk and la harina during the air show, I will never know.

I am watching a YouTube presentation of the eruption now. From a distance it looked like an atomic bomb.

On a clear day Mt. St. Helen's cna be seen from where I live. I've hiked in the area in the last few years. Mos areas have recovered, but some areas of the blast zone are still clear.

In the video they said volcanoes in the Pacific Northwest are more prone to explosions... One would have eot look no further than Crater Lake (In Oregon) to confirm just how big those explosions can get..

It was also amazing in how quickly it recovered. Have been to Crater Lake. Apparently it is the site of several volcanoes. Also, Mt. Rainier is still active and some towns in it's shadow are sitting on top of previous lava flows.

@JackPedigo The entire Pacific Northwest is volcanic. Yes, Mr. Rainier, is active. In the early 1800's, most of the Seattle area was buried in ash. It is considered to be one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world, an dyes, people who live too close will lose homes.

Mr. Hood is also considered active.

Luckily, like it was with Mr. St. Helens, the Pcific Northwest volcanoes usually have detectable changes that warn of eruptions.

@snytiger6 There are 10 volcanoes in our state. Mt. Rainier is the most famous but not the only one. Funny but Mt. Adams was left off the list: " Mount Adams, known by some Native American tribes as Pahto or Klickitat, is a potentially active stratovolcano in the Cascade Range."
Mt. Baker is the one visible from our island. Luckily the prevailing winds are to the SW and SE so the ash will probably fall away from us.
Mount Rainier 14,409
2 Mount Baker 10,777
3 Glacier Peak 10,541
4 Goat Rocks (extinct) 8,182
5 Cobb Segment 6,890
6 Endeavour Ridge 6,726
7 Indian Heaven 5925
8 Signal Peak (extinct) 5,102
9 West Crater 4360
10 Simcoe (extinct) N/A

Lived in Everett at the time, quite the double explosion!

1of5 Level 8 May 17, 2020

I lived in Port Orchard!

That day I was camping at Fort Wordan at Port Townsend!!!

The next day we had a strange dust which was really light!!!

When I returned home there was that strange dust barely visible!

I had to go to Morton two days later were the volcanic dust was up to two inches on some of the logging equipment!

I had a vhs tape that showed the ash cloud that day, it has long vanished from Federal Way video store!!!

I worked in Tacoma, the dust did not really arrive there, sometimes a light dusting nothing to write home about!!!

On a day at my home in Port Orchard about two weeks or so later we got a brief dusting!!!

I had a Xmas tree glass bulb made of Mount Saint Helens volcanic dust, my first wife still might have it!!!

You can not fool Mother Nature!!!

Ft. Worden has many happy memories for me. Pt. Townsend is a great town and I have made posts about it several times.

Surprised you didn't hear it. Probably because you were up wind. But still you say ash was falling. Most of the fallout headed east and south.

We keep forgetting the power of Mother Nature. We are like tiny bugs that she can simply flick off without any thought.

Living on the other side of the US I heard of it

bobwjr Level 10 May 17, 2020

I was in Portland, Oregon, with ash covering everything, in car engines, clogging streams, and everyone wondering how much worse it would get. A doctor I worked with took a small plane up (before they closed the airways) and brought in amazing photos from above the cauldron.

I worked on the Mount Saint Helens District of the Gifford Pinchot National Forest at the time that the mountain blew......I was about six miles away as the crow flies from the mountain maybe even less than that I was in cougar the morning it blew...we were anticipating an eruption but it's far exceeded anything we could have possibly imagine. my how it changed things!!!!!the budget for our district went from just around a million dollars to 22 million the following year.yeah it was definitely some fun times.........

Years later I and my in-laws visited the area. There were some half dozen information stations each one dealing with a different subject. Of all the places we went we were most impressed with this one. Washington has some amazing sites. Places most people can't imagine.

Saw it from the hills in Portland, looked like a large atom bomb was going off. Lightning in the clouds of ash, it was just a large column of ash going up into the sky. It just kept going up, most fantastic thing I have ever seen.

I was in Wenatchee, WA where ash was falling.

We were visiting my in-laws, in Surrey BC, & felt, & heard it.

I was living in Germany and only heard of it through the news. I have been to the site many times since.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:496641
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.