Agnostic.com

13 2

Is there evidence for God?

KathyF 4 May 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What is a gawd ? Why capitalize a gibberish sound? You have asked a false leading question. There are thousands of alleged gotts by title by name by irrational descriptions. Religious trolls join Agnostic dot com to piss off Atheists here. Are you fearing alleged hell threats ? Have you accepted alleged heaven bribes ? Good news is : Atheism is true. Critical thinking upon the hope for miracles yields the better resolve to solve problems or ask problem solvers.....prEying always fails

Sure if you are stupid and a moronic idiotic subliminal being in need of immoral and unethical behavior!!!

You need to define both god and evidence, otherwise the discussion is mute.

My dog thinks I am god. She is always asking and begging for treats. Is that sort of like praying?

@gemini1947 exactly my point

If you are looking for something.....you will generally find it....and tweek it until it totally fits your narrative. Who's to say.....Jesus might have been a really charismatic dude who couldn't hold down a job so he wandered around the desert "entertaining" people with his stories and was surrounded by his homies....(maybe the original Dead Heads?). Life was good until he pissed off the wrong people.... hahahahahahahaha 😉

From my science worldview, evidence needs to be replicable, verifiable, and falsifiable.

I don't know of any. Do you?

Depends what you mean by 'god', for some gods none. But I would say that there is a lot of evidence for others, such as the biblical god, for example. It is just that in real objective terms, it is entirely really very bad crap evidence.

There is for example a large volume called the Bible, which could be called evidence. But it is a book which was assembled by many people over centuries, without a common plan, whose authors are unknown, as are the dates of writing, which often contradicts itself, whose editors are unknown, ditto the dates of editing, we do not have any original copies, or even know how many lost copies there were, how often it was reedited, the true date of first assembly, or even the original language of all of it, etc. etc.

In short it is about the worst possible evidence you can have for anything.

But if you are to debate with theists, it is much better to concede that there is evidence, and then question what it is worth, than to flatly say that, there is no evidence. Because that is what they expect you to say, and that concession throws them, because they know that if you do say, there is no evidence, then that throws you into the position of trying to prove there is none, which they know is hard, and puts you at a disadvantage, because of course there is, especially in their minds, so it is impossible to prove. It is much easier to prove that the evidence is not, good evidence.

I don’t think the question can be meaningfully answered because the definition of “God” is murky and unclear.

The question seems to be based on the presupposition of god as an object of our attention, as something separate out there, something like a planet or sun but supernatural. I feel confident in saying that there is no evidence for such a god and that no such god exists. The question is posed from a position of ignorance and delusion.

This world of sensation that we cling to and take to be real and concrete is nothing but imaginary, and only symbolic of ultimate reality beyond. That statement is fact, and the idea is an integral part of scientific knowledge. Undoubtably there is an ultimate reality beyond our imaginary bubble of sensations and thoughts, but the nature of that reality is inexplicable and can not be understood in terms of our space/time/matter model. You could label that which is outside our normal mode of perception as “God”, and many have, but such a label accomplishes nothing, Speaking of evidence, proof, belief, or disbelief in connection with ultimate reality belies a state of misunderstanding.

We enjoy conscious awareness—there is some sort of reality whose foundation we can not fathom. What is the evidence for that foundation? It is our own conscious awareness. Besides awareness itself, our sense of self is evidence. Reality itself is a massive chunk of evidence. Everything is evidence. We are swimming in evidence.

The question should be about the rational response to that evidence. For me the response is awe, appreciation, reverence, and total bewilderment.

No. But if you're still unsure, is there evidence for the tooth fairy?

lerlo Level 8 May 19, 2020

No...not so far.

Nope

bobwjr Level 10 May 19, 2020

Depends who u asking 😂

Seriously?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:497435
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.