Agnostic.com

2 3

So, Trump plays up patriotism as a huge angle with his base - but . . . The Trump administration is ending deployments for more than 40,000 National Guard members currently helping states with Covid-19 test and trace programs - and doing, very deliberately, it one day before thousands of members become eligible for federal benefits. These are our troops, risking their lives to help, and being thrown away to save a few bucks. This time of chaos is also being used to do myriad other things behind the scenes: deporting kids, firing people all across the government, gutting environmental laws, destroying international treaties, and much more.

This is monstrous. No matter how much we have tolerated the friend, co-worker, or relative who keeps supporting him - its becoming inexcusable and there has to be consequences. Being socially shunned, hurt professionally somehow, any dirt you might have on them made public, if their lives can be made harder in any legal way . . . it should happen. If there are no immediate consequences they have no reason to stop. And they will eventually probably figure out they screwed up, but it will be too late for all of us at that point.

Observer-Effect 7 May 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

SMFH..

I had to look that up! 🙂

Unfortunately the county I live in the freeholders and politicians are predominately Trumpy Republicans. If they could not have social services they wouldn't. I am concerned what will happen if he is re-elected.

Yeah, even if he isn't reelected I think he might refuse to step down. And the "boogaloo bois" and ilk are just itching for a civil war, they want one. I don't think an organized civil war is likely, but random widespread violent events are.

History is a bastard about this stuff. Hundreds of superpowers/empires, when they crash, followed exactly the same patterns we are. Just the languages, superstitions, skin colors and technology change. And that last one is what's most worrying to me - technology has never been nearly at this level during a violent superpower collapse. The Soviet Union breaking up in '91 was scary for those folks, but they are a much more self-reliant and sturdy folk compared to modern Americans. They also were not as wildly divided as America is now, and - we have more guns than people in our country. Oh -- wait, that's supposed to mean we are safer right?

@Observer-Effect Thanks for scaring me even more. It is a frightening time.I think about my kids in their 20s and 4 year old grandmother. He made America a great big shitshow with the help of some before him and his minions.

@gigihein Heh! Sorry! Well, by nature for better or/and worse I tend to think in that scale. And, personally, I don't think humanity is in danger. From this. 🙂 🙂 🙂

My kids are 20 and 17, and they are a lot more tuned into and adamant about such big issues than I was at their age. Do you see the same thing with your kids and their friends? So my hope is that our kids will turn the planet around! Our technology is at an incredible tipping point, if we can keep our societies relatively healthy for awhile longer it seems like big changes in lifespan, food, energy, and more are just around the corner.

@Observer-Effect I feel the same way
My son is in Hawaii living in sustainable community. He said he didnt want to work like most do with o time to enjoy life. when he was young I thought he was lime a Tibetan monk. always calm, no malice or vengeance for those her hurt him. My daughter is less radical, but she is resilient.I am amazed at how cool young people are. when I was in my 20s my friends were often much older. Now my closest friends and acquaintances are in their late 20s and early 30s. but it is a conservative Trump loving area, so those my age the brain damage is extensive. I am often left speechless. at things said.

@gigihein Yeah, I feel pretty lucky that way now in Vermont. Even the more conservative pockets of community here are more an old style conservatism, still having real compassion. I have lived in the south, and I just had to pretty much live in silence there - dangerous to talk about religion or politics.

@Observer-Effect 10 years ago I went to Montpelier and Hardwick? I think. Loved it til I went a very cold weekend and it was just under 30 below. It is such a free spirit vibe there. I was taking classes there.

@gigihein -30 cold! I'm not from here, I followed a woman here from out west, where I was a full time ski pro. And, I was used to much bigger, steeper, snowier mountains - populated with friendlier people! 🙂 It took awhile to adjust to New England. But now I've come to really love VT, there is real community (once you've been here long enough) - neighbors looking out for neighbors. But its on the edge of hell - I think that the biggest armpit of America (with nice spots) starts just South of us in MA down to FL!

@Observer-Effect I think Vermont is beautiful and loved the people I met. But I am friendly and will initiate a conversation with anyonevif they're game. So don't think I've run into unfriendly anywhere.

@gigihein oh Vermonters are generally pretty chill, but the tourists and biggest closer influences are MA, CT, NY and NJ. And, don't listen to me, Google on "rudest states" and that kind of thing. You will see in study after study . . . A pattern.

@Observer-Effect I am sure there are states with more rude people, I just usually rendezvous with the f eye friendly ones

@gigihein People are always pretty friendly to me too, because I am always friendly to them - it's my nature. However - I see jerky behavior happening all around me so much more often out East than out West.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:497653
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.