Agnostic.com

3 4

If there is anyone still thinking maybe getting COVID-19 would basically be like going through a rough flu they should read this.

"Let’s be clear: Without a coronavirus vaccine, we will never be able to live normally again. The only real exit strategy from this crisis is a vaccine that can be rolled out worldwide. That means producing billions of doses of it, which, in itself, is a huge challenge in terms of manufacturing logistics. And despite the efforts, it is still not even certain that developing a COVID-19 vaccine is possible."

[sciencemag.org]

#Flu
MarkWD 7 May 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Unfortunately, there will always be people who won't or can't take the vaccine. With the case of asymptomatic non-reactions there could be a portion of the population that are immune. In the America's it was estimated, in many areas 90% died out but there were still 10% that survived and passed on their genes.I think all life forms have to live with pandemics and it is another way evolution works. Unfortunately, the religion gens is not deadly, at least for those carrying it.

Again unfortunately, our technology often figures out ways around evolution and we refuse to learn the hard lesson of moderation and limits.

Funny you should put it that way as I only recently finished reading Daniel Quinn's "Ishamael". I suppose the shit will hit the fan eventually if we don't bring our numbers down voluntarily. I know I am not biologically responsible for any added human biomass and I always speak up for childlessness as a positive and rewarding way of life. But imagine what a gory mess a 90% human die-off would leave. Yuck.

@MarkWD I read Ishmael at a time for major changes in my life. I bought several copies and sent them to family and friends. i still have a copy. ZPG is critical but, along with the Sierra Club, sold out to corporations. It will be gory for many as it has been since the beginning of time. It needn't be for most if we make some needed changes mostly economical. I now belong to NPG and things like restrictions on births and excessive immigration are one way of helping non-violent changes.

@MarkWD Also, thought I'd share this [overpopulation-project.com]

This could make a large percentage of the world population have to live with chronic health problems, a sad and scary situation which will seriously tax public health systems, personnel and supplies for a long time.

They don't have to but eventually everybody goes out. We can't stay inside forever.

There will be a vaccine. Distributing it will be a challenge. I'm 67, but not ready yet to "take one for the team"!

@barjoe You might want to actually read the article. The author is a well known researcher who also worked on AIDS and Ebola. What he says is that in addition to deaths there will be large numbers who never fully recover full kidney or heart function.

If wishful thinking is your idea of 'being positive', why not fully embrace religion?

@MarkWD My thoughts exactly.

@Organist1 I'm also 67 and even those who "take one for the team" will not really be helping the team out, they'll just join the ranks of those with long term disabilities whose cost must be floated by the rest of us.

@MarkWD I was referring to death, however, you are right; a chronically ill and elderly populace won't help anybody.

@MarkWD Regarding to the pessimistic quote that you posted. My reply was to someone else of course but now I'm responding to you. I'm an atheist, but that doesn't mean I can't be an optimist. I don't question the author's expertise. I practice social distancing I wear N99 mask. I do this to prevent the spread of the virus. You're entitled your beliefs but don't define my atheism and my beliefs. Covid-19 is a terrible disease and unfortunately a severe case can leave permanent disability. As a child I had measles unfortunately before the vaccine was developed. I have hearing loss in one ear, a heart arrhythmia which I live with today. I'm 62 and I'd like a bit more time. That being said, I'm not going to live the time I have left in a bubble

@barjoe I survived a bad case of measles, mumps, chicken pox, viral meningitis and typhoid fever, and live with a heart arrhythmia. I'm not sure if they are connected, but possibly! I understand the need to be out and about, but if we are just patient for a bit of a while longer, we can save others so much trouble, and ourselves as well. I would rather enjoy my life as a relatively healthy person, and not be tethered to a dialysis machine several times a month, or however often it needs to happen. I wouldn't be the only one.

We have to return to some normality. Many of us will have antibodies. Eventually people will just get the virus and have an immunity that way. Most of us will survive. Some won't. There'll be an unacceptable amount of deaths. It's not a good situation and there won't be a vaccine for at least a year. Life will have to go on. Let's not be so pessimistic. Even if I'm wrong I'd like to have some positivity for what's left of my life.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:497780
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.