Agnostic.com

1 1

I submit to you one of the most emotionally manipulative films EVER....and Gozer help me, I love EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY MINUTE OF IT. While I actually enjoyed Tim Burton's re-imagined version (as it was closer in keeping with the spirit of the book) it cannot hold a candle to the original. Gene Wilder IS Willy Wonka, with just the right balance of kindness and neurosis. When Charlie is sad, I'm sad. When he gets a golden ticket, I am practically glowing with happiness just as he is. Julie Dawn Cole makes for a delightfully nasty Veruca Salt and tell me you have never seen Gunter Meisner as Mr. Slugworth in your worst, darkest nightmares.

JayOleck38 7 May 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Because you're a big fan of the movie this might interest you: Peter Ostrum (Charlie) lives in my neighborhood (in rural Northern New York) — specifically, I think he lives one town over, about ten miles from me, and operates his business in the town where I live. I've run into him once or twice (we go to the same mechanic), but never really spoke with him except to say "hi." He seems to be a nice, friendly guy, but a little quiet. He's a large-animal veterinarian (e.g., horses and cattle), but he visits one of the local schools every year or so to discuss acting. Otherwise, from what I've heard, he doesn't really like to talk much about his brief acting career.

I didn't see the movie until I was an adult, so it doesn't hold the same degree of wonderment for me as it might otherwise have had, but I do enjoy the film. Gene Wilder brings an avuncular energy to his character while simultaneously being legitimately insane. He straddles that fine line between "eccentric" and "lunatic." I've never seen Tim Burton's reimagined version or read the original book, but maybe I'll do so one of these days to see how it all compares.

The book was a whole lot darker than the original film, which is why it made sense that Burton would do a remake. Naturally, as a kid, I loved the bouncy playfulness of the film, but as an adult, I'm more into the dark sense of humor it has ("Did you hear what I said? It's your husbands life or your case of Wonka bars!" "How long will they give me to think it over?" ) Originally, the film was going to be a long commercial for a new candy bar, which was actually called a Scrumdiddleyumptious bar. The bar sucked, but they went ahead with the film anyway.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:498588
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.