Agnostic.com

8 3

I'm looking to buy a new bicycle to get some more exercise and my research has shown me that bicycles are hugely overpriced now. I've seen $1500 at the low end and $5000 at the high so $3250 is about the average.

I think $350-$500 is reasonable for a bike. Am I that out of touch with reality?

It's just a bicycle fer crissakes.

Sgt_Spanky 8 May 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have 2 very nice bikes. One is a Japanese 10 speed and the other a 21 speed mountain bike. I got both bikes used. I have put thousands of miles on the 10 speed with some minor repairs. Hundreds on the mountain bike. Used to be one could get used bikes at garage sales but maybe that avenue has gone bust for the meantime.

Anyone who rides bicycles is my friend!

Found one!

I ordered it this morning. All told with bike, assembly, tax, fees, and misc it came in at just about $400. Now that's a reasonable price for a bike. Shipping was free but it'll take a week and a half to get here then I have to schedule assembly. I'm looking at around two weeks before I can start riding.

It's this one - [walmart.com]

So I got a new bike from a reputable manufacturer at a fair price. It's Miller time!

But with coffee.

Ooh...I like it!

Anyone who rides bicycles is my friend.

Walmart has decent bikes starting at under $100. I won't even pay close to your low end of $350 for what you call "reasonable". I own 2 folding 26 inch bikes - one 6 speed, one 18 speed; both which cost less tha $200 to buy and ship to me....a few years ago. I now see, on Amazon, folding bikes with disc brakes in the low $200's.

[amazon.com]

I was looking specifically for a road bike or a cruiser. I wanted a distance bike rather than a terrain bike. I was hoping for disc brakes but it wasn't to be. Click link above to check it out.

For $6 I bought a great old Schwinn at a Goodwill and rode it all over Seattle for six weeks. What a bike! Cleaned up it looked like new.There was a ratchet in the chain wheel, enabling it to turn constantly so you could change gears without pedaling.

I expect you could find a useful bike at Walmart for a few hundred bucks, thanks to our Chinese friends.

That's what wound up happening -- Walmart to the rescue. Walmart is usually a warehouse for shit but I found a good one there.

I bought my last for $12 at a garage sale.Then paid $20 for a new pump, $10 for an inner tube, $10 for a 2nd hand carrier + bag, $3 for an unused electronic Speedo, $15 for new cycling shoes, $5 for a 2nd hand stationary cycle mount. Now I haven't used it for 2years and its rotting away!

Pride develops an empty wallet. Control freaks telling me how to lead my life do not do my health & aspirations any good!

At least you're only out $75. Could've easily been a lot more for a bike.

That’s ridiculous.. It’s likely safe to purchase a bike through Craig’s List. That’s how I recently sold a couple, from $100 to $150, both ‘youngsters bikes,’ but quality ones. Seems you could find something used for just a little more.

Though, a sister of mine blew quite a bit on a new one from some specially shop … just shook my head sideways while I helped her look.. ‘But they adjusted the seat to perfectly match the pedals,’ she said. ‘I’d have done that for free’ 😉 Not sure about ‘now,’ but six months ago she’d likely have sold it for a small fraction of the original price ..lacking time to actually ride it.

Like so many things, they’re either junk (Walmart), or outrageous ‘quality’ (described above), with little in between 😕

Varn Level 8 May 24, 2020

I actually found one from a good manufacturer at Walmart for a good price. Sometimes you get a little lucky.

@Sgt_Spanky Out West, we seemed to have more alternatives left to Walmart. Over East, they’ve taken over! If you found something solid, enjoy 🙂

I am thinking that the prices will come down a lot when the lockdown has been over a month or two, the market may then be flooded with a lot of second hand, and overall demand should go down. I am not going out much now anyway, since the lockdown here in the UK is very strong, so meh! I can wait.

I spent $600 on my bike a few years ago. No doubt part of the price was in the shipping, since I ordered it from the Specialized catalog from my local bicycle shop.

I got what I wanted and they service it yearly to make sure it's running smooth. I love my bike, it's comfortable, easy to care for and I use it about 3 times a week to do my 12 mile bike ride.

I think a cheaper bike might not have the same feel - my Specialized hybrid 7 speed beach cruiser is just exactly right for me. If you think you'll be using your bike a lot, I'd invest in exactly what you want.

Great story. It is all about gettting the one you need I think. I have been thinking of changing my road bike for a folder which can go traveling with me, since I don't do a lot of local biking, but one that would drop in the back of the van, or go in the hold of a plane, would hopefully be used a lot.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:498902
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.