Agnostic.com

9 6

I think people who watch the Minnesota video and purport to be able to tell the cause of death despite having no medical training are no different than people who look at the Pandemic video and instantly tell you masks aren't needed despite having no medical training.

I think if we are going to live a truly complete evidence-based life, then we need to incorporate the need for evidence in all aspects of our lives. We shouldn't pick and choose which aspects of our life we are going to form opinions on based on all the facts and which aspects of our life we are going to form an opinion without all the facts.

In this case, I await the coroners report. It may say exactly what others are saying, that the knee is the cause of death... but at least then our beliefs will be shaped by what we KNOW, not what we GUESS.

(PS: For the feeble minded who will mistake this for as a defense of the cops, nothing could be further from the truth. So please don't bring that up for it's not true and you only showcase your own mental weakness at best or your bias against me at worst by alleging that. This is a post about how we incorporate evidence into our beliefs, not about the merits of either the Minnesota case or Pandemic video.)

TheMiddleWay 8 May 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ummm, coroners report,the first quickie one, contradicted by the second later one and an independent one. Are you volunteering to have someone kneel on you for almost 9 minutes?

@TheMiddleWay how disingenuous of you...when I used the phrase "kneel on your neck" you reported me to Admin who made me change the wording...then, you posted this. Res Ipsa.

@TheMiddleWay um, no, snowflake-ness is Very inattractive.. you are the one who runs to Admin when yer widdle feewings get hurt......

@TheMiddleWay, you used the word "purport". Did you write this yourself?

@TheMiddleWay doubt it.......

I gather you'll say this was prejudicial, or you would like to wait for further reports. [abcnews.go.com]

@TheMiddleWay Hennepin County autopsy is complete as well. Toxicology and post mortem cardiovascular is include, but ruled a homicide. Still doesn't bode well for Derek Chauvin.

@TheMiddleWay SMH

@TheMiddleWay it WAS performed, and also indicated homicide, as you were informed on the very first reply above....just being your usual obfuscative self.....

Well it's obvious you've never read "How to Win Friends and Influence People". Calling people people feeble minded because they do not agree with you is very offensive.

and if you call him on anything, he reports you to Admin....

I never saw this as a post about defending the cops. I read this and was stuck by how much it ignored the excessive force (which evidence does show is used far more frequently against a certain segment of the population than).
5 minutes is a very long time, even if Mr. Floyd had not died that video would have sparked an up roar. Seems like the post was designed to create a knee jerk reaction but then calling anyone who reacts in a way you don't want them to feeble minded is interesting.
This episode with America still trying (or not) to come to grips with racial injustice, unequal application of the law, etc. can not be relegated to just wanting to live an evidence-based life. IMHO

I don’t have to be a medical expert to look at the existing evidence, and that evidence is plain, obvious, and plentiful.

I think it fair and accurate to say no one here has looked (yet) at ALL the evidence. 😛

Those with medical training do see that a man was subdued by another man placing his knee on his neck, applying pressure to his carotid artery until he was non responsive, and then kept the pressure applied. Those with medical training know what happens when you prevent oxygenated blood from getting to the brain and that a move like that, when being used for appropriate self defense or to simply subdue a man until a threat passes, dictates release of the pressure as soon as the desired effect is obtained, or death is a significant risk. I am perfectly content to await a coroner's report before purporting any KNOWN cause of death, because you are absolutely right and I do prefer to live by evidence, but I contend that there are some with enough training and knowledge to recognize from nothing more than the video evidence that the RISK for the knee to the neck to be potentially related to the cause of death clearly exists. I can observe this and at the same time know that until there is a complete coroner's assessment, we cannot know what other physical factors may have played a role.

@TheMiddleWay I hear you, and also understand that many people struggle to comprehend that innocent until proven guilty goes both ways. If we don't want the police (or anyone other than the judge and jury) being judge and jury, we can hardly take that stance ourselves. It does not follow logic, but then, there is a lot of emotion tied to an event such as the MN death in custody, understandably so, but emotion often takes over the rational brain and logic quickly goes out the window.

Whenever a perp dies in custody, it's usually suspect. The department does an internal investigation and usually covers it up. Outside investigation here, they won't cover this one up. The excessive force at least contributed to this man's death. The fact that he may have had an underlying health problem does not exonerate these officers. Don't accuse me of being feeble minded or having a mental weakness. These cops are going to be made an example of. Whether you think it's fair or not. The mayor, the riots, it's etched in stone. What's left of Minneapolis will be burned to the ground otherwise. .

@TheMiddleWay Lay people won't actually read the coroner's report. The actual cause of death whether it's suffocation, cardiac arrest, toxicology of whatever doesn't matter. If your going to narrow it down to clinical result of death. I don't care. They're your shoes. They won't fit me.

I have expectation(s) that folks on this website can/do keep the emotional knee-jerk reaction(s) out of incidents like this, but it seems some might not be capable.

I just got-done "chastising" a couple comments about already using the "murder" word (despite charges not even yet being filed). And this, in a post that you and others pointed-out was "fake news".

. . . sigh

"Let's say you can connect the dots and put two and two together. "

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:500210
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.