Agnostic.com

5 3

When theists ask, "If you don't believe in God, then what is our purpose?"

#god
RonTheNerd 4 May 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why do we need a purpose to be alive here on Earth? Just be happy and live your life to the fullest and be good to other humans and animals.

Great rap! Love the Richard Feynman sampling. Like Greydon Square, I now make my own purpose ... but I didn't used to. As a Christian, I once believed that God had a plan, and that our purpose was to glorify him. But when I began to doubt I thought, what a crappy planner God was, and wondered, what kind of supreme being would demand the worship and adoration of his tiny little subjects? I find Dan Barker's response to the question spot on:

“Asking, "If there is no God, what is the purpose of life?" is like asking, "If there is no master, whose slave will I be?" If your purpose of life is to submit as a slave, then your meaning comes from flattering the ego of a person whom you should detest.”

Why do we need some all encompassing great purpose?
My Raison d'être is my family and to hopefully make their lives happier than mine was, I chose that "purpose" If I succeed or fail I am only answerable to me and only then until I peg out.

Yep. We have a number of purposes including perhaps some we haven't yet realized just because circumstances haven't brought them to our attention.

I say we have no purpose.An earth worm has more of a purpose in regards to the betterment of this planet than a animal that pollutes destroys and eradicates any thing that gets in the way of profit.

It really means. What purpose do you serve if you are not helping to serve my purpose.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:501025
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.