Agnostic.com

10 13

I’ve been studying the Tao Te ching for over a year now. I do not consider it a religion I consider it a philosophy. One of the teaching is the first key to wisdom is not to add more wisdom but to clear your mind first of everything you’ve been taught. Basically to unlearn all the negative things you’ve been taught. I’ve tried to do this and I must say that my outlook on things have changed and I’m happier

abyers1970 7 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Taoism is nice as long as you don't take it 'too far'. Practicing the 'Art of doing nothing' is niceeeee.

If you really study it then its not actually not doing anything. Its more not forcing anything and letting it happen naturally. Just enjoy what youre doing and do what you are supposed to and not get stressed worrying or trying to force things.

@abyers1970 Which is the Art of doing Nothing!

Interesting stuff.

The first key to wisdom is to realize that you do not have any wisdom. That worked for me and I used to have inner knowledge about everything. It was real coz I read it in a book.

The Tao Te Ching is Lao Tzu's book, some people who use it as a crutch consider it a religion, others a philosophy, in reality it is an ancient self improvement book with teachings that have influenced quasi religious philosophies like Taoism, Buddhism, Legalism, Confucianism, etcetera. If you are happy, good for you. I personally don't need any book to make me feel happy, but that's just me, I love living, life and nature and nothing makes me happier than to enjoy life to the fullest.

The Tao which can be perceived is not the true Tao.

For some people this will be very easy to unlearn all the negative things they have been taught and the positive too as there is not much that they have learned.

I too have a strong interest in the Tao Te Ching. It is a philosophy that doesn't go against you common sense. I love it

Unity Level 7 June 4, 2020

At age 18, I found Tao Te Ching by Lao Tsu in the University of Michigan Bookstore. Fell in love with:

EIGHT

The highest good is like water.
Water gives life to the ten thousand things and does not strive.
It flows in places men reject and so is like the Tao.
In dwelling, be close to the land.

In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be gentle and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.
In action, watch the timing.

No fight: No blame.

From “Tao Te Ching,” written in the sixth century B.C. by Lao Tsu.

Glad that’s worked for you. College untaught me, US History in particular, as the professor (drove a Saab so I assumed he was a prof.) explained how ‘everything we’d been taught in school was propaganda to support the taking of America.’ Only class I voluntarily sat front & center.

So ( so) fortunate not to have been indoctrinated with religion, even reached a point where I consciously decided to stop learning about any of it - as it’s all Bullshit! That helped to focus on the social tool it is.

I’ve tried not to dump everything though, and seek more. Like putting together a never-ending puzzle … with multiple pieces tossed in from many others.. Cocky enough to go it alone I suspect, it feels to have worked 🙂

Varn Level 8 June 4, 2020

Is there a particular translation or commentary that you recommend?

@WilliamFleming

I have Tao Te Ching by Lao Tsu, a new translation by Gia-Fu Feng and Jane English.

Vintage Books, a division of Random House, New York. Purchased in 1971 at age 18.

"No one has done better in conveying Lao Tsu's simple and laconic style of writing, as to produce an English version almost as suggestive of the many meanings intended. This is a most useful, as well as beautiful, volume- and what it has to say is exactly what the world, in its present state, needs to hear."

Alan Watts

@LiterateHiker Thanks for that info.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:502826
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.