Agnostic.com

6 12

Today's hike: Extremely rare, endangered plants. Yahoos stay out.

On the north side of Blewett Pass, Washington, there is a beautiful green meadow where two extremely rare plants grow nowhere else in the world. In Camas Meadows:

1. Wenatchee Mountains Checkermallow (pink); and

2. Wenatchee Larkspur. Took the flower photos in 2017 when we could walk in the meadows.

Today Karen, Gro and I hiked all-the-way around Camas Meadows- up-and-down two peaks- for 8.3 miles total with over 4,000 feet of elevation gain.

Some areas of the trail were so steep, I sat down and slid downhill for a stretch. Whee! A quick, safe and fun way to descend an extremely steep, slippery trail.

"We don't want anyone walking in Camas Meadows," a Forest Service employee gravely told us. "The Wenatchee Mountain Checkermallow and Wenatchee Larkspur are extremely rare."

I thought about how in years past, locals drove jeeps and hunted in Camas Meadows. Not anymore. Motorized vehicles, ATVs, hunting and shooting were banned 31 years ago. Posted signs on all sides of the meadows include maps of the protected area.

It was fun to stand high on a ridge and see places we have hiked.

Burned thousands of calories today. Dinner of homemade chicken-vegetable soup wasn't enough. For dessert, I had vanilla bean ice cream with chocolate chips.

Photos:

1. Camas Meadows, WA.

2. Wenatchee Mountains Checkermallow.

3. Wenatchee blue Larkspur.

4. Sign.

5. Enchantment Mountains frame Camas Meadows.

LiterateHiker 9 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thanks for sharing, nice photos of some beautiful flowers

beautiful pics of those rare flowers and another great hike under your belt

Keep these posts coming. Great stories and photos. 🙂

@BestWithoutGods

Thank you.

Well it is good that people respect the rules. Two years ago I went walking in a nature reserve/park on Cyprus. I went on a Sunday and as I walked to the park entrance, which took about half an hour, I was passed by about ten jeeps/pickups loaded with dogs and guns.

@Fernapple

That is infuriating! Selfish assholes.

Gorgeous country but just do not tell Donald about the no driving of jeeps or hunting. He will soon make sure it happens again.

Great hike today

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:502855
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.