Agnostic.com

34 2

True or False: How we think is determined by the mind, not how things really are.

Razorjelly 7 Apr 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Maybe"

It's a mix.

Definitely determined by the mind. Our perceptions are limited, and we don't consciously control what we pay attention to a lot of the time. Our ideas about things frame the world, and it's often hard to see past that.

Every thought you have is not in it's pure form. It is conditioned by time and space. The brain does not perceive anything the way it is.

I can say this is definitely applicable for some people with neurological differences. I have Sensory Processing Disorder and Synesthesia, and I've had episodes of Temporal Lobe Epilepsy.

I "know" that many times I hate sensory stimuli other people enjoy, and vice versa. I "know" I don't really smell in color, despite the "overlays" of color that are associated with various fragrances (vanilla is a particularly awful shade of powder blue). And I know I've never literally been to hell, that my perception of it is culturally mediated and would be different if I'd been raised in another religion.

And all of these affect the development of the mind.

True. Perception of reality is highly subjective and colored by our personal experiences.
It also depends upon just how gullible we are.

so, if consciousness is responsible for creating reality, and it (consciousness) were entirely wiped from existence, the universe we percieve is gone. can/does another exist?

This idea is true according to Kant's Critique of Pure Reason Part II Transendental Logic. Basically he says we experience things in time and space and then we think about them in terms of the categories of logic. Whereas the true mystery is beyond logic, beyond time and space.

I'm standing in a queue at the bank and I'm thinking I'm bored, so I'm going with True: the mind.

Ish... wouldn't reality inform you thoughts... I hope!

Certainly the mind.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:50295
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.