Agnostic.com

5 1

Is this 'racist' ? Why/not ?

Reddit co-founder Ohanian resigns from board, urges company to replace him with a black candidate

[cnbc.com]

FearlessFly 9 June 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The accepted definition of racism is using one's power or status to oppress another person (or group) based on their race. I don't think this qualifies as racism because Ohanian has no real power in this situation and isn't oppressing anyone.

@FearlessFly if you know the answer, why did you ask?

@BitFlipper . . . what I 'knew' (30 seconds in a search engine), was that your "accepted definition of racism" comment was/is NOT accepted. πŸ˜›

@FearlessFly It seems to have changed recently. It always had to do with using one's power against another. That's why poor powerless black people hating powerful white people is not racist.

@BitFlipper It is hard not to notice that you have provided no source(s) for your claim(s). πŸ˜›

Black people are only 14% of the American population. Most white people never get to know any black people. The more blacks placed in jobs the more whites get to know they are just people.

You nailed it. Banish fear.

No, because it is an effort to promote balance on the board.

He has good intentions, or maybe Serena is making him do it. Being married to Serena Williams must be quite an experience.

[grammarist.com]

@FearlessFly it’s definitely a gamble, and as you point out, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Ohanian will have no control after he leaves. I suspect there are other motives.

Despite that, the act itself is not racist IMO. Being married to Serena would not be conducive to much racism.

I think that where possible every police force should have Blacks. They would be a good influence on their fellow police officers, and might have more influence with Blacks in the community. Hopefully at some point this Black/White dichotomy will be nonexistent, but for now we need conscious acts of unity.

@WilliamFleming "I think that where possible every police force should have Blacks"

. . . you mean, like this one ?

[en.wikipedia.org]

@FearlessFly Absolutely! That’s a start.

@WilliamFleming "Arradondo joined the MPD in 1989"

@WilliamFleming Why would you think Serena is making him do this? Why wouldn’t he choose to do this on his own, as someone whose eyes are open to the realities of the world β€” and willing to do something about it?

@Apunzelle Just trying to be funny. You are right of course.

@FearlessFly That’s good to know. Also good is that 21% of the police force is Black.

@WilliamFleming LOL. You know, humor doesn’t always translate online. πŸ˜‰

Nope. Why would you think it might be?

. . . I never said I thought it was racist.

points to consider :

"I got my job to be a token black person" should not be a thing said with pride.

Everyone not black who would otherwise be in consideration for a board position could sue Reddit for discrimination.

Either it is based on race or not.

He should be replaced by the best candidate, which could be a black, white, asian, man or woman.

Is it discrimination to say that he should be replaced with a black candidate?

@FearlessFly The problem is, we almost ALWAYS say the white candidate is the best candidate. What Reddit needs to do is go further and try harder to find a diverse slate of qualified candidates. They’re out there; we just always like to pick people who look like ourselves.

@FearlessFly I believe he is saying that diversity is the strongest position for a company whose product is used by a diverse audience.

Because a white person could not be familiar with the experiences of a person of color, they could not be the best candidate ... Even though, as @Apunzelle points out, the white candidate is usually selected as the best candidate, particularly at this level.

@FearlessFly That is exactly why we are where we are. White people will pick white people. DUH! If things were as they should be we would not have police brutality against black people and systemic racism in our institutions and hiring practices. If things were the way they should be, we wouldn't have to have this conversation.

@Lauren Great point! Our nation is becoming more diverse. Leadership and marketing and products and services should all reflect that.

@SlippingBeauty . . . I actually haven't read it. I saw comments about it on another regular website (some of which are 'summarized' in my reply to Sticks48 above) and thought it would make a good discussion here. πŸ™‚

This is beautiful.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:503128
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.