Agnostic.com

10 2

What made you become an atheist?

Iranildo 5 June 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It started with a Lie about Santa, Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny! When I was a child around 7 or 8 I stayed up as late as I could to see Santa, no luck. I then started thinking about how does he get into our house with a wood burning stove? In through a key hole? It didn't make any sense to me. One year I was bad and I still received a gift, LOL! Finally I figured there was no such person and my parents told me I was right. It hurt. I kept wondering why my parents would lie to me. Then when they dragged us to our Ceremonies I asked why we had to go. Their response was, "to give thanks to the Creator", Who I asked. They couldn't prove to me who the Creator was. So I kept going like they asked and finally when I was 14 I told my parents I didn't believe them or in a Creator. As the years went by I researched other religions and asked about their beliefs and in a way this was my attempt to see if I could follow another and as I learned about the Bible, it too made no sense to me. Finally at the age of 54 I gave up in trying to believe or have faith in anything or anyone.

I stopped believing in gods

Really evil and obnoxious teachers in a religious school, (UK. C.of E. ) trying to force me to accept bullshit.

Growing up in a church and seeing all the bullshit set me on the path of enlightenment.

Common sense and facts

bobwjr Level 10 June 5, 2020

My brain

Reaching the age of reason.

I'll try to keep it brief. (Or maybe not? A story is only really understandable in its entirety. We'll see how it goes, I guess.)

We were engaged. We were in an accident. I lived, he died.

Now, though this story starts with tragedy, it is important to note that the tragedy was not the REASON that I became atheist. It was merely the jumping-off point, the event that led to questioning and reasoning.

So anyway, I lived. And, for some reason, everyone wanted to praise God for that fact. This didn't sit quite right with me. Aside of the fact that my survival was obviously due to the efforts of medics, surgeons, technicians, and the one unnamed passerby who pulled me from the burning vehicle...there was still the inconvenient fact of my fiance's death.

"Wow," they said, "God must have been protecting you!"
"Really?" I said, "So why wasn't he protecting my fiance?"
"God protected him, too! God took him to heaven!"
"What? That makes no sense! Is death the blessing, or is life the blessing? Pick one!"

I thought about it some more. If God was in the business of protection, wouldn't it make more sense to protect people BEFORE a tragedy? I thought about other tragedies too - tragedies worse than my own. God started to look pretty incompetent. I started to get angry.

But then, quite suddenly, it dawned on me!

"Hey!" I thought, "Things seem to happen EXACTLY like they would if there was no god! Cars crashes can be explained by physics! Death can be explained by biology! Love and fear and other emotions can be explained by neurochemistry!"

My belief in God, and my anger at him, fell away. It was as though I could see clearly for the first time

Thank you for telling me your story.
In fact, this divine being makes no sense.
Besides, he is a "god" completely with human characteristics and people don't realize it.
An omniscient god who created his worst enemy, omnipotent from sheer arrogance, omnipresent more blind than ever to see people's suffering.

Ahh, this being doesn't exist.

Because I don't believe in fairy tales or Santa Claus. I'm not a fool.

Short and to the point! I like it.

Don't be too harsh on those of us who did believe in Santa, though. Some of us have to take the long road to understanding.

Exactly! Well I was a fool up to the age of around 10, lol!

One of my 'philosophies' :

Why should anyone suffer (what they consider to be) foolishness in silence ?

I sincerely wish NO ONE did that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:503211
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.