Agnostic.com

29 7

If I ask "Do god(s)s exist?" and your answer is:

"No", I label you an atheist.
"Yes", I label you a theist.
"Maybe", I label you an agnostic.
"I don't care", I level you an apatheistic.
"Question is ll-defined", I label you an ignostic.

Simple process with no reliance on belief vs. knowledge needed.
It is my opinion that belief vs. knowledge only label the surety of your position, not to the actual nature of it; a difference in degree, not kind.

If I then ask "Do thoughts of god influence your daily activities?" and your answer is:

"No", then I label you secular
"Yes", then I label you religious.

What this attempts to do is separate the ontic position (existence) from the epistic position (cognition) and allows for many combinations between the two... religious theist being one who says god(s) exist and acts on it... secular theist being one way says god(s) exist but doesn't act on it... secular atheist as one that says god(s) don't exist and doesn't act on it... etc.

What advantages or disadvantages do you see with this prescription?
Does it break in some obvious or not obvious sense or does it help put things in perspective?

TheMiddleWay 8 June 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am an agnostic - anti-theist.
I'm with Penn Jillette on this: Agnostic and atheist answer two different questions:
Agnostic: We cannot know fur shur how our universe started: agnostic (without knowledge)
Atheist: There ain't no all-powerful invisible critters fucking with humans on the earth: atheist (there is no reliable proof of such beings)
And, I agree with Sam, and Christopher,... I am an anti-theist because I oppose religionists imposing their mental illness on all us good folks.

JacarC Level 8 June 19, 2020

The agnostic answer is not a maybe.
The real answer from an agnostic is...
If you can't interact with it enough to be sure, does it really matter?

@TheMiddleWay but that is agnostic.
If you can't come with am acceptable argument for the existance AND is an unfalsifiable claim. Than the existance is irrelevant.

I accept that people are accepted as being labeled as gods, therefore exist. I would agree the question is il-defined. Would I be ignostic theist? People are gods as I accept, and as you ask "Do thoughts of god influence your daily activities?" Yes, I deal with thoughts of people (gods) daily. Am I a religious ignostic theist?

Word Level 8 June 7, 2020

I call my self an unindoctrinated human 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:503501
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.