Agnostic.com

7 2

A recent comment said 'Private Gun Ownership' is no longer needed. Do you agree or disagree? Why?

I disagree. I have found that a firearm is one of the better tools for self defense, livestock protection and agricultural pest management.

beenthere 7 June 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Private gun ownership may be necessary on very limited occasions. It always seems to be a case of extremes and in the US today we definitely have an extreme. For some in a rural location it might be the case but for most in the urban setting it is not necessary.

As a British citizen, to be armed is an alien concept for me...but I do understand historically why Americans felt compelled to bear arms, as it was a matter of survival. In the 21st century though, I’d question the need for normal citizens to be armed, especially in urban areas.

BTW, has anybody seen a wild bear from ten feet away, growling? And now he wants my plate of salmon for a neighbor? And I just had open heart surgery? Don't tell me about self protection. I pooped myself and he left.

'One of the better tools' ... Not to say there aren't other ways. Glad it worked for you.

It depends on where you live. If you live in Alaska how would you feel? If you live in downtown NY, probably not? That's why different laws are required for each state, county. But some laws are not disputable at the federal level. We had a cougar kill at the end of the block last month. Black bears are common here. And the coyotes are everywhere.
So, no protection for me? That's stupid. I have one shotgun, and I don't know what kind it is. Anymore than I can name the brands of tools in my garage.
But a 21 year old buying a AR 15? That's just loony. Or a 500 magnum? Up the age to thirty. The younger are not as mature as we were.
(If a law can limit age, it can also set a new age limit)

I agree with you.

I’m with you, for all those reasons. I’m a moderate, active Democrat, too ~

Varn Level 8 June 7, 2020

I have no problem with private ownership of shot guns and hunting rifles. Hand guns should require a special license for special reasons like someone transporting large quantities of cash or gem stones, certain security jobs...We will get there one day.

@MissKathleen I still feal the same way. You will not miss with a shotgun, You will probably miss with a pistol.

@Sticks48 And after a handgun is empty, you can throw it!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:503907
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.