Agnostic.com

7 0

Do you think a city (Such as Minneapolis) can operate safely without a police force? If so, how?

pilotlight11 5 June 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, the coffee shops would get too rich. Seriously, police forces perform many useful functions. There are bad people everywhere and good people everywhere.

You had me thinkin ..then laughin.. If you gave the good people guns, they’d not likely know which end to hold 😉

Probably not.. At least not for long. But how cool! A former cop-wannabe, I learned of how bad it can get. If they’re cleaning house - from the ground up, they’ll have a new house. In the meantime, folks know enough to be patient and step back from construction.

Varn Level 8 June 8, 2020

Combine police, fire, and EMT services into a Public Safety Department. No 'ranks', no tanks, no uniforms, no electronic torture devices, and no chemical weapons. All assault rifles, assault carbines, and high capacity pistols would be confiscated, and re-distributed to Minneapolis citizens.

Redistributed to citizens? No No No, my grandson lives there and it would be chaos. I liked the rest of your recommendations.

We will always need police. The ? is how much funding should they get, should they be so militarized, and how should they treat the public?

A true return to "INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY" would solve a lot of these problems!

In the 1980s when I was living in San Francisco, the City for a short time hired public transit drivers carelessly. So many riders complained that those drivers “went away”. I didn’t know if they failed their probationary periods and were fired, or if they were placed elsewhere.

No, but cities have to be more careful who they hire.

I agree and think this is the key. The way I express it is I think too many thugs have found a way to be paid to vent their anger. Much of my graduate work was on the reliability and validity of personnel selection instruments. Whatever method they are using seems to be reliable, in that it keeps selecting the same kind of people, but not very valid because it does not select what is wanted. Of course this is a gross generalization. But, it is the few rotten apples that smell up the entire barrel.

Police hiring board: "why do you wanna be a cop?"
Applicant: "Because I wanna serve and protect!"
WRONG ANSWER!
Right answer: "Because I wanna have power over others!"
Police hiring boards truely believe that everybody desires power over others.
Any other answer and they assume the applicant is lying.
I got this straight from the mouth of a suburban Denver cop, who was giving his recruiting pitch before a class entitled "Sociology of the Police", that I took twenty years ago. And i doubt they've changed their authoritarian mind-set since.The above- mentioned pig also tried to recruit students to infiltrate and inform on the Denver Anarchist Black Cross. There are no "good pigs". They are all authoritarian bullies at heart.

@davknight I’ve done years of public speaking, though not in the context you describe here. Depending on my relationship with the audience, I’ve used lines like the above Right answer together with facial expressions as laugh lines.
I do not share the view you express in your final line.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:504003
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.