Agnostic.com

6 12

Made four loaves of whole wheat buttermilk bread today.

Eating fresh, hot bread with butter is one of life's greatest pleasures. House smells heavenly.

For over 30 years, I have made whole-grain bread. Love the process of feeding the dough with yeast, kneading, rising, pressing out gas bubbles, shaping loaves and baking.

Kneading is rhythmic and meditative. I get a small workout, too. Since the counters are too high for me, I do toe raises 500 times while kneading.

Problems arose

Buttermilk tenderizes the dough, making it gloppy to handle. Dough kept sticking to my hands and the counter. Realized the dough was too wet. Three times, I flattened the dough and sprinkled on extra whole wheat flour. Caution: add too much flour and the bread will be dry.

Since the buttermilk was frozen, I heated it on the stove with honey mixed in. Thought I blew it by heating the liquids to 80 degrees. If the dough is too warm, it rises fast in the bowl, but not in the oven.

With buttermilk bread, don't over-knead or the dough will tear in the final rise.

To my delight, the bread is tender and moist with a chewy crust. It rose beautifully.

NOTE: Today I used 75% whole wheat flour. After the loaves cool, I cut them in half and freeze. I take out a half-loaf at a time.

LiterateHiker 9 June 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can smell the wondrous creation from here. Great.

So talented!

can smell and taste your delicious bread from here,aroma floating thru the air 🙂

Holy munchins! That looks delicious!

Sounds delicious. I love baking my own rye bread. 🙂

fresh bread straight from the oven hot is as close to evidence of god that humanity may ever find.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:504256
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.