Agnostic.com

3 3

For those who are upset at statues and war memorials being desecrated. Firstly I cannot agree with any historic art being destroyed because of contemporary events and attitudes. Remove from prominence and display in museum rather than destroy.
For those who are aghast at the destruction of these historic, cultural art works, please read the following which only happened a few weeks ago.
This is what people mean when talking white privilege. For the history of humanity, one loss is far greater than the other yet does not stirr up anywhere near the same amount of reaction with general society.
[abc.net.au]

powder 8 June 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Historic and cultural is a matter of opinion. Don't we all realize that Jim Crow era whites, during the late 19th to early 20th centuries, erected statues of so-called 'heroic' rebels who fought to sustain slavery, and that these cities and towns did this in order to make a statement--a very racist one? I for one am surprised the statues have lasted as long as they have. They are literally a public display of a knee to the neck.

Here's a question. Where else but America would the losing side of a rebellion be allowed to name public institutions and erect statues in honor of their leadership? Where else in the world would you find something like Stone Mountain? And how many schools, roads, buildings, etc. are named after so-called rebel heroes?

That these men are viewed in any way as true Americans is a travesty--they were traitors to the Union and Rebels, and as such, should have all been hung. And yet, they were allowed to retire in relative peace and comfort, and have elementary schools and highways named after them!

@powder I agree that they belong in a museum, but these statues are less art than they are propaganda, in my opinion, and do not compare with the ancient cliff Buddhas destroyed by the Taliban. My artistic heart is not wounded when statues of the despicable topple, whether it be Vladimir Lenin, Saddam Hussein or Edward Colston. Would we call this bust of Hitler (many thousands were made) art? Were it up to me, they would all have been melted down.

@powder I don't see the destruction of 'cult images' as erasing history. We have visual records, which are now digitized for all to see and learn. And as we agreed, a few samples may be preserved for public museums. But we as a species have an unfortunate predilection for idolatry--whether it's a statue of Zeus, the Virgin Mary or Robert E. Lee, the image becomes idealized, venerated, exalted and eventually worshipped. The same may be said for Mount Rushmore and the Lincoln Memorial, by the way.

Seems like anything for a buck. Even here, this will happen. We are witnessing destruction due to desperation. Problem is, it's only a short term thing.

I read about this when it happened. Such a tragic loss. Now the mining co wants to come back and apologize? I call bullshit. There is no way they didn't know EXACTLY what they were doing. The only time anyone apologizes for anything anymore is when the public reaction forces their hand and it's done in order to save face.
[riotinto.com]
Nothing but word salad.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:504874
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.