Agnostic.com

2 2

LINK Study finds the most racially prejudiced people tend to think that they are less racist than the average person

New research indicates that the Dunning-Kruger effect — meaning the tendency for less competent individuals to overestimate their competence — can be applied to prejudicial attitudes.

snytiger6 9 June 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Every person alive is prejudiced by default because no one has the complete picture of everything. Of course we don’t judge ourselves to be prejudiced! If we knew that our perspective was incorrect then we wouldn’t have that perspective.

It seems to me that the article is more about hidden or subconscious fear and animosity than prejudice. A prejudice is an irrational opinion based on insufficient experience, and that opinion can be overly optimistic just as well as unjustifiably negative.

Deep-seated fears are more than just opinions. You are unlikely to argue those fears out of another person. Each person has to shine the light of conscious awareness on his own particular fears, and see them for what they are.

Some fears might be justified. A fear of snakes might keep you alive. Fear of genetically different people is likely to diminish your life and cause unhappiness. To recoup that happiness a person should carefully write down and analyze their thoughts about the others, and then plunge in with smiles, conversations, friendships and relationships.

Attacking racism in other people will get you nowhere.

Interesting read. I can't say I am surprised, but it was intrigued by this part, as it doesn't really follow the traditional Dunning-Kruger model. Still very insightful.

“You don’t know how prejudiced you are. The most egalitarian people in any given group (i.e., the least prejudiced) tend to think of themselves as above-average (or less prejudiced than the average person in the group),” West told PsyPost.

“But unfortunately, the least egalitarian people in the group also think they’re above average. In other words, even the most prejudiced people tend to think that they are less prejudiced than the average."

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:505365
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.