Agnostic.com

8 1

Religious people are often hurt when atheists attack their beliefs, it seems hateful: Being told your god doesn't exist, being told you're not going to heaven, being told you're not part of anybody's perfect plan. These things hurt. You must try and remember this: atheists hate the belief, not the believer. Atheists don't hate you, they only hate your sick, awful, abhorrent, abusive beliefs. They hate the pain and hurt caused because of your beliefs. They hate seeing your belief keeping you trapped in a state of constant delusion. Really, atheists LOVE you but we will not accept your belief. Does that help? Do you feel loved now? No?

WELL, KEEP THIS IN MIND next time you tell a gay person "I don't hate you, just your sin!"

Anismail 5 June 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As I have often remarked, in my youth I was taught to hate the sin, not the sinner. Having shed my religious faith, I've chosen to retain that ethic: I hate the belief, not the believer.

What a powerful post- thank you. The false division between hatred of 'sin' and the person is something you've captured so well.
I wish I'd met some passionate gay atheists much earlier in my life.

It's having your delusions put in your face

bobwjr Level 10 June 14, 2020

It's not about hate. I think anything supernatural is a fairy tale. I think people who believe in fairy tales are stupid. I won't tell them how stupid they are unless they try to tell me what you believe.

barjoe Level 9 June 14, 2020

Not sure who this post is aimed at. My experience is that the content and actions suggested here are nonsense!

"You must try and remember this: atheists hate the belief, not the believer. Atheists don't hate you, they only hate your sick, awful, abhorrent, abusive beliefs. They hate the pain and hurt caused because of your beliefs. They hate seeing your belief keeping you trapped in a state of constant delusion.

I don't hate religious people at all... " and ... Atheists simply don't believe what they believe.. You twist the actually meaning of atheist...

Perhaps you mean antitheist?

"atheists hate the belief, not the believer."
this and the twaddle you are spouting in the sentence before it are simply your thoughts. You speak only for yourself!
As do I when I say I hate only the institutions and criminal people who propagate these lies for their own benefit at an unimaginable cost to others who are foolish enough to listen to them.
I like most atheists DO NOT tell believers "your god doesn't exist," I tell them there is no good reason to believe any god exists and that they are being irrational and dishonest with themselves in doing so, which is true. I tell them their churches are corrupt money making institutions who are systematically robbing them, which is true. I tell them their own theology and doctrines are contradictory and often evil and that they should actually read their own holy book to see what monstrous filth it actually is, which is true.

To whom is this curious post directed? Who are the "you" in this post? Is your last sentence meant for religious people who attack gay people? How many of these types do you think are on this site? I'm hoping none.

I was wondering the same thing.

@hankster me too

I took it to be directed at religious people

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:505947
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.