Agnostic.com

3 2

Interestingly enough, my home, built in 1953 in Lancaster, Pennsylvania has a covenant in the original deed restricting the sale to whites only. This usually isn't disclosed to the buyer, we just happened to have our deed transfer done by a friend and she found it.
Watching this documentary, it makes it a bit easier to understand why Minneapolis might be flash point of the new civil rights struggle. Despite laws, the actual functions of many cities don't realistically change, banking practices don't magically switch modes, prejudices are still passed down through families. Things may be better, but that is not a very high bar to exceed!

Barnie2years 8 June 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nasty crap but expected there

bobwjr Level 10 June 14, 2020

Could you sell to a black family now?

I don’t believe it would have any standing in court. Like I said, it isn’t even something that is commonly known. There is a black family renting the house across from me. I’m sure that one has the same condition since they were built at the same time

Because I volunteer at the local Historical Society, I know of more than a few developments which formed in the 20s & 30s with this kind of ''covenant.'' It was what it was and can't be undone now.

BUT...we also have some great oral interviews with folks who formed their own version of the ''Welcome Wagon," to welcome families of color, support them, be their good neighbors, etc.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:506081
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.