Agnostic.com

13 20

Yesterday I pruned an elderly friend's New Dawn climbing rose.

"I can't believe you do this for fun," my friend Billie, 83, said yesterday. With a master degree in botany, she has a beautiful yard. But severe arthritis in her knees and shoulders makes it hard for her to garden.

Over 20 years ago, Billie fell in love with the New Dawn climbing rose I had planted in my yard. She ordered a New Dawn climbing rose, planting it next to a fence. It flourished under her care.

Living in a duplex, I miss gardening. Yesterday I pruned Billie's enormous New Dawn rose, removing hundreds of spent flowers to keep it blooming.

"Let go of me!" I ordered the rose bush when thorns snagged my clothes. Brought me to a standstill. For self-defense, I wore sturdy black jeans, a thick flannel shirt, sun hat and long, leather, rose-pruning gloves.

How do you help elderly people? Habitually, I open doors and offer to carry things.

Many older people are too proud to accept much help. It takes persuasion to get Billie to allow me to help with her yard work.

LiterateHiker 9 June 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Its a beautiful variety. I don't have a place for a climber, but if I find somewhere I'm going to get a don Juan climber. Gorgeous red. Thank you for helping your neighbor.

They are beautiful

bobwjr Level 10 June 15, 2020

You're so nice..and they look beautiful! Good job!

@Cutiebeauty

Thank you!

Those are gorgeous roses ,I can see why you both love them so much ,Another day and another selfless good deed done .No wonder your so Happy ,you fill your self with joy in helping others and I hope in the future others will help you as much ,.Bows to the gracious lady

@RoyMillar

What a lovely thing to say. You're right. It fill me with joy to help others.

I'm a year older than you but anytime you're in the bay area you're more than welcome to help me. 😉

MarkWD Level 7 June 15, 2020

I meant to add these, I was on the wrong communication device, 😣 as far as helping people, if I can be of immediate assistance regardless of whether they're younger or older I try to help out. Hell just be nice to each other. 🙂
Now get off my lawn. 🤯

Beautiful rose! We have elderly clients with the Red Cross when we have disasters and we try to help them recover the best we can.

Don't treat them like kids. You don't become old by being dumb.

It’s beautiful, as is your act of kindness.

UUNJ Level 8 June 15, 2020

@UUNJ

Thank you, dear.

Gorgeous color.

They look lovely, my wife does ours.

I wonder if a climbing rose is specific to the type or can any rose climb if given an incentive?

@JackPedigo

Only climbing roses can climb. They have long branches called canes, that can grow up to 12 feet long. There are different kinds of roses:

1. Hybrid tea roses typically have a a spiral-petaled appearance with a large, lush bloom.

2. Climbing roses have long branches, called canes, that can grow up to 12 feet long.

3. Shrub or landscape roses are just what they sound like: a shrubby form that’s hardy in most climates.

4. Miniature roses. Like other types of roses, each variety of miniature rose has different characteristics, with plant size ranging between 6 inches and 4 feet or more and plant shapes that include bushy, compact, climbing, and cascading.

@LiterateHiker And then there are ramblers which can cover a barn. (I took mine out.)

@LiterateHiker Thanks for the information/. \The roses I transplanted seem like regular landscape roses. Now they are reaching for the sun and are up to almost 15 feet. I had a Redbud tree in Seattle that has a max. height of 12 feet. Same thing - reaching for the sun. It got much taller and was considered the tallest Redbud in the city. Let me ask my landscaping friend in Seattle.

@JackPedigo

Redbud tree is not a rose.

The redbud tree ( Cercis canadensis) is a member of the bean family.

@LiterateHiker It was not a species comparison but a statement that often plants outgrow their 'normal' size under certain conditions.

@LiterateHiker Here is the reply from my friend - he is a professional aborist/landscaper and knows his plants. "Jack,
I wouldn't likely know that rose, but many roses can climb if they need to to get into the light. I have a 'Mutabilis' which has gotten crowded by larger shrubs around it and has climbed 15 feet into them to get to the sun. Normally, that rose is a 6-foot shrub. So the boundary between shrub roses and climbers can be flexible."

I don't know if you saw my posting last fall about my Wisteria. A shoot had emerged that was completely different. It had different leaves and was not a vine. I followed some of the plants and found them emerging from the larger vine of the Wisteria. I asked him about this. He said the popular Wisteria is a Japanese graft onto a rootstock. (I do grafting and know about root stocks). He said sometimes the cells from the rootstock can slip past the graft and emerge along the main plant. Often plant people use this to create interesting varieties. My point is there often are no set rules for all plants. Plants can be like animals in that they will adapt to survive and reaching for light is one way of adapting. I also have seen climbing roses and this rose is not climbing.

LiterateHiker is a good, ethical person. 🙂

@BestWithoutGods

Thank you. I appreciate your kind words.

@LiterateHiker It was very kind of you to help your neighbor. You've earned better words than I can come up with. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:506355
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.