Agnostic.com

2 0

When more than half the population earns less than $5 a day...you figure out a way to "buy wholesale".

Unfortunately, that means far more germs.

[scmp.com]

Robecology 9 June 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is said at least a quarter of the world's population live on less that $2 a day (close to 2 billion). Problem is what $2 can buy here is far different than what it can buy on many developing countries so it's a poor comparison.
With a hugely expanding population jobs are becoming critical and it doesn't seem to matter what jobs, from manufacturing additives, to weapons to anything that destroys our natural or cultural resource base is fair. Guess what? It is not. Anything that pulls the rug out of future generations, human and nonhuman, is simply wrong. These 'wet markets' do far more harm than good and I, for one, would say there is little good. They should all be outlawed. To allow this to continue would mean pandemics become a way of life or, more importantly, a way of death.

Fair? Wrong? Guess what...these opinions don’t work in the real world.

It may be “simply wrong” but we have no choice, no say in the matter...

Except to vote.

And maybe post some memes here, and on other social media; and hope your opinions sink in.

Sadly; I concur with what you say; but your chances of changing a single mind are nil.

@Robecology It's not done to change minds. It's just a statement of facts. Even if it plants a seed it will help, otherwise stopped caring a long time ago.

The article says 40%. That’s still a significant number.

Sometimes these figures are misleading. Expressing their income in terms of dollars by converting with the current exchange rate overlooks the inequity of the exchange rate.

To understand how well the Chinese are living you should find out low long a person there has to work to pay for something basic like a loaf of bread. Of course the cost of living varies widely by location within the country.

@Allamanda I haven’t experienced those places so my perspective is no doubt skewed. I am very skeptical of stories about abysmal poverty in some place or other, and I’ll tell you why.

Before leaving for Vietnam in 1965 I was told that the Vietnamese were frail and in poor health, that they lived in grass shacks with dirt floors, ate only a handful of rice daily, and that a human life had no value to them.

What I observed firsthand was that they are a strong, well nourished people, very humane and intelligent, and that whatever they needed for well being was available on the local market. It is totally irrational to make judgments on a people by comparing their lifestyles to your own.

It is true that few of them would be able to buy anything on the world market. A single dollar bill would have made a person very well off, at least for awhile. So as not to upset their local economy and cause poverty we GI’s were not permitted to spend dollars, and not many piasters.

I have the utmost respect and love for the people of Vietnam. It is a much happier state of mind than to live with false negative judgments. In some places there is war, famine, disease, etc. and a helping hand is needed, but eventually the people of a region will either solve their own problems or they will move on.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:506526
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.