Agnostic.com

6 3

"White Privilege" vs. "White Blessings" Words ,matter, can someone explain in detail how they understand these two?

Humanlove 7 June 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Google " White Man's Burden" to find the historical beliefs that made this possible.

White Privilege exists in white majority countries and is the mythical "right" by which Caucasians think they are at the peak of the evolutionary tree and so have the "right" to decide how the world should be run.
White Blessing is the bullshit term used by church men to prove Jesus was Caucasian, as were Adam and Moses, because god would only ever discolour the skin of "other " people to show he was pissed off with them, and prove white is right and white is best, so long as you are not gay!

That's completely different to what I understood. I thought it described the advantage we currently enjoy because of past persecutions. So that if someone says "I don't exploit black people etc why blame me for my ancestor's crimes?". The answer is that although you may not now be exploiting black people you and the rest of white culture still enjoy the unfair advantage (blessing) that your ancestors gained for you from exploiting black people. I heard the term years ago from an indigenous aussie.

Sounds to me like someone is trying to add glitter sprinkles on reality to deflect the need for equality. Have never heard the term until today. Wow.

Interesting thing about words. Am presently watching a PBS show about the "Stonewall Uprising." This was when the gay community had had enough and rioted. One woman said that when the police descended on them the protesters threw pennies at them. The reference being coppers for the cops. Less we forget police brutality has been about numerous discrimination's by people/cops and implied race is just one of many.

The defining moment for gays....may the same be true for people of color, finally!

@AnneWimsey Unfortunately, gays are still discriminated against and many people are pissed that SCOTUS made it legal for gays to marry. It's not just gays but the whole LGBTQ group. I fear tribes that are different from the dominant tribe will always have problems being accepted. It's a big fault of many life forms (pecking order is common even among non-human groups). We are supposed to be better than this but supposed to doesn't always happen.

@JackPedigo I know that, but they quit taking it without fighting back! (Especially in the courts!) Huge difference, Huge! First step in an important journey!

@AnneWimsey Who's quitting and who's fighting back? None of the groups being discriminated against are quitting. The show about the Stonewall fight showed how this group had had enough. This was in the late 60's. The Black community has also gone through this several times. The question was asked why this incident? Of course it was a tipping point but also so many people are on the edge because of the virus and our whole lies being brought to a standstill. All of these massive demonstrations include members of many tribes, blacks, whites, LGBTQ members, immigrants.

"White Blessings" sounds like a white supremacist trying to make their privilege sound benign.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:506629
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.