Agnostic.com

48 12

Does it make you angry when someone gives all the credit to god for healing the ailing instead of doctors?

I just saw a post on FB asking for prayers for the removal of a brain tumor. Instead of asking god to bless the patient and in turn the doctor, why not ask why god allowed a tumor? He can't prevent it but can make it go away??

What do we have doctors for then? How dare you take all the praise away from the skilled surgeon when the surgery is successful!

Alimacbean 7 Apr 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

48 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I wouldn't mind so much that they give their imaginary friend the credit if they'd also assign him the blame for the ailment in the first place.

Lol.... it didn't make me angry, but I did have a recent chuckle because a person I know "thanked god" on FB for the doctor and the skills god had given him to save her sister. She posted a picture of her with the Doc who was obviously Indian/Hindi. So I just mentioned she ought to really be thanking his god not hers.

Yep.... "Unfriended."

Awesomeness. Hoping some others saw that too.

Not half asmuch as when I read some article about parents or preachers getting charged with less than murder one when they let a kid die while suffering from an easily treated illness because they wanted to pray away the illness.

Surviving AML acute myloid leukemia I thank my doctors and nurses and medical ingenuity for saving me not some deity.

Of course it does. It's pretty damned ridiculous. They'll credit their god with the 'cure', but they won't blame it for giving them the disease in the first damned place. Idiots.

I got into it with my xtian sister about this. Our cousin was in a coma because she had had a seizure and was on breathing machine to live. She wasn't expected to come out of it, but she did. Which is great! But here comes my sister with "Now tell me that wasn't God, it was science!!. God brought her out of it when science couldn't!" So when I pointed out that without science she would have been dead from the seizure in the first place...crickets. Always always the same old song and dance.

When someone asks me for prayers for a medical procedure, I tell them to trust the science. BTW, everyone knows god is way too busy helping the NFL make touchdowns to cure a brain tumor, or save starving 3rd World children.

I suppose of this God was a healer then the hospital would be filled with various priests instead of learned Doctors and healing would only cost a donation.

It doesn't make me angry; it makes me sad.

Yes, the doctors who have worked for years should get the credit.

I don't get angry, I just shake my head an tut.

All the time. The part that gets me most is they praise god for saving them, healing them, or whatever... Not the EMTs that arrived as far as humanly possible, our the triage nurses that expedited their intake, or the doctors that did their very best to help as much as humanly possible after decades of rigorous study and practice... But it never occurred to them that if their gods "saved them", it was only because they allowed them to be hurt or ill in the first place. The irony is sharp and bites into my heart.

When all the thanks going to such thing call god not the person who helped it discourages the helpers to help again specially if they are not paid for it. So I hope they forget god and give the thanks to each other to appreciate each other and enhance their lives.

This attitude has always infuriated me, I endorse your post Alimacbean. very well written......

God has nothing to do with anything that happens in our lives, period. I wanted to puke when the group Little Big Town won a country music award and their response, over and over was "Thank you Jesus." I believe that was total pandering, just like the things tRump does, and they swallow it.

Cauws GAwd don't giv them thur desises that there is the Divel workz, Gawd oni kurz 'em, lessen ov cours, them aziz srferin is a gawdamm athist, then its deevine wrath!

I'm so sure it would comfort these same people after an accident to hear a voice crying
"Let me through I'm a faith healer"

Yup. People who credit god for everything good but don’t blame him for anything bad have a level of cognitive dissonance I just don’t get.

Kind of reminds me of a North Korean special I saw where doctors went over there to perform cataract surgery, and upon getting their eyesight back, promptly ran over and thanked a picture of dear leader instead of the doctors. Indoctrination is a scary thing.

Religion promise you endless life but only sientists have extended your life at least for another 50 years'!!!

Yes, it looks very funny when people don't say thank you to the doctor but thank you to God. Once I helped my friend take out a loan at a good interest rate through [hurtigudbetaling.dk] , and instead of thanking me for my help, he "said thank God for helping me take out a loan at a low-interest rate." I was shocked by these words; it was unpleasant to hear them because I tried to help my best friend, but he did not appreciate it. But then I stopped being angry at my friend and started communicating with him further.

I also wonder if doctors can give credit to god instead of themselves.

It does not make me angry just disappointed and disgusted that the world is full of such a large number of idiots. I believe in and am thankful for science, mother nature and smart people.

I have a terrible immune system. My Catholic mom always tells me she'll pray for my recovery. I can't argue with her because she's my mom and I don't want to hurt her. But it's rather infuriating. Especially since I'm not sure she really believes it anymore but she lives in a religious community so she just follows the herd.

A religious zealot, doesn't have to be just a Christian, will look for any excuse to put their good into everything that happens. Good or bad. They will not accept that science has done far more than their god has. Man/woman has done more for himself/ herself.

Angry? No. The medical professionals that spent the better part of their lives going to school to learn how to extend or save lives should be beyond angry hearing nonsense like this. I pity those who give praise to a being that they have no proof of over actual humans that had to knowledge to help or save them.

The Bible tells Christians that God is the healer....
From James chapter 5
13 Is anyone among you suffering? Then he must pray. Is anyone cheerful? He is to sing praises. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; 15 and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up,​

Of course this Christian health plan needs to be repealed and replaced because it sucks.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:50742
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.