Agnostic.com

13 9

What new tasks have you learned during the shutdown?

I'm getting better at doing my own manicure. Will never get a professional nail "fill" again. My poor nails are thin and tear easily after years of being ground down.

Meanwhile, am keeping my nails short to protect them. Once a week, I remove the polish and put Vitamin E oil on my nails, cuticles and hands.

Does anyone else have a nail that splits? I use Super-glue.

Also learned to sew masks for friends and family. Made 20 so far. Today I'm sewing 4 more.

LiterateHiker 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No new skills, actually no changes whatsoever. I live way out in the woods, so nothing has really changed aside from timing my rare trips to town for supplies for the least busy days.. I suppose I could practice social distancing with the rabbits outside. But they tend to keep their distance anyway.

The only service I've missed have been hair cuts. So now I look like Dr. Emmett Brown.

Besides forgoing professional manicures and even home nail polish altogether, once the lockdown began, I also learned to cut my own hair as the lockdown was lifted, but I still couldn't get a hair appointment. Can't believe how easy it was, since my hair is long, fine and straight. From now on, I'll be saving $25 every few months. I just held my hair with one hand, and chopped it with the other in one snip with the scissors. Took 2 seconds. Doesn't look any different than my usual salon cut.

Also, my nails have never been healthier, without all that polish and remover. Stronger too, I think. So, learning to do without what I've been led to believe I need to be ladylike. 😉

You did a pretty good job . You are very generous . I know that your friends appeciated it .

Learning I do not need to visit the coffee shops as much,doing more gardening, relaxing a lot more and nothing is a rush anymore ,enjoying the little things i do around the house and yard

@RoyMillar

Ah, yes... the Zen of not rushing around.

I've given myself a couple of haircuts. The first time, I ended up looking like Moe from The Three Stooges, but I'm getting better at it.

Is not a skill but I use this time to improve my knowledge of Italian.

I cut my own hair a few weeks ago (both of them. Lol).

It wasn't that much of a huge feat. I've been thinning on top since I was in my 20s and I normally wear it short anyway.

My father 'inherited' a fairly nice set of clippers when my mother died ~10yrs ago and we 'inherited' them when he passed ~5yrs ago.
It's easier to avoid stressing my wife for mistakes if she doesn't risk it -- ha, ha. I just cut the hair out on the porch, felt for missed spots, and she coached. 😎 I imagine there could have been more trauma, but we figured it wasn't worth the effort. 😎

RichCC Level 8 June 19, 2020

I’m learning body work on my truck. I patched a hole using fiberglass and a lot of sweat sanding it. I’m now of the painting stage. Not great but not too bad

One can take as many naps and as often as one desires, at least if one lives alone.

I learned that I don't need my haircuts to be as frequent as I've always done them!

(If it's just the one nail that splits...super glue's a good idea. If it's all of them, be sure you're not sawing back & forth with the emery board. That'll cause splits.)

Surprisingly (and seriously) though, I've learned that, as long as I have email, I'm ok with spending most of the time alone. And...''boy toy'' and I have gotten along better than I might've predicted.

Not new, but I have honed my skills as a master bator 🤪

@Bobbyzen

What's a "bator"?

@LiterateHiker Say the last two words in my comment out loud without pause 😉

@LiterateHiker Let's say that the biblical Onan got into BIGGGG trouble for doing it.

@Bobbyzen

Hilarious! Got it.

I thought you meant "baiter," as in fishing.

Learning about covid,volunteering to help

bobwjr Level 10 June 19, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:507586
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.