Agnostic.com

2 2

For those who don't understand or say that systemic racism does not exist in the U.S., they need to learn about the untold history that is not taught in school, but actually occured.
“In 1866, one year after the 13 Amendment was ratified (the amendment that ended slavery), Alabama, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida, Tennessee, and South Carolina began to lease out convicts for labor (peonage). This made the business of arresting Blacks very lucrative, which is why hundreds of White men were hired by these states as police officers. Their primary responsibility was to search out and arrest Blacks who were in violation of Black Codes. Once arrested, these men, women and children would be leased to plantations where they would harvest cotton, tobacco, sugar cane. Or they would be leased to work at coal mines, or railroad companies. The owners of these businesses would pay the state for every prisoner who worked for them; prison labor.

It is believed that after the passing of the 13th Amendment, more than 800,000 Blacks were part of the system of peonage, or re-enslavement through the prison system. Peonage didn’t end until after World War II began, around 1940.

This is how it happened.

The 13th Amendment declared that "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction." (Ratified in 1865)

Did you catch that? It says, “neither slavery nor involuntary servitude could occur except as a punishment for a crime.” Lawmakers used this phrase to make petty offenses crimes. When Blacks were found guilty of committing these crimes, they were imprisoned and then leased out to the same businesses that lost slaves after the passing of the 13th Amendment. This system of convict labor is called peonage.

The majority of White Southern farmers and business owners hated the 13th Amendment because it took away slave labor. As a way to appease them, the federal government turned a blind eye when southern states used this clause in the 13th Amendment to establish laws called Black Codes.

Here are some examples of Black Codes:
In Louisiana, it was illegal for a Black man to preach to Black congregations without special permission in writing from the president of the police. If caught, he could be arrested and fined. If he could not pay the fines, which were unbelievably high, he would be forced to work for an individual, or go to jail or prison where he would work until his debt was paid off. If a Black person did not have a job, he or she could be arrested and imprisoned on the charge of vagrancy or loitering.

This next Black Code will make you cringe. In South Carolina, if the parent of a Black child was considered vagrant, the judicial system allowed the police and/or other government agencies to “apprentice” the child to an "employer". Males could be held until the age of 21, and females could be held until they were 18. Their owner had the legal right to inflict punishment on the child for disobedience, and to recapture them if they ran away.

This (peonage) is an example of systemic racism - Racism established and perpetuated by government systems. Slavery was made legal by the U.S. Government. Segregation, Black Codes, Jim Crow and peonage were all made legal by the government, and upheld by the judicial system. These acts of racism were built into the system, which is where the term “Systemic Racism” is derived.

This is the part of "Black History" that most of us were never told about.”

#damonkrobertsrealtor

noworry28 8 June 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am not responsible for what bigoted white men did in the Deep South over 150 years ago. Would you recommend we pay reparations? One leading black academic put the figure at 13 trillion dollars...sounds about right...should you make the check out or should I?

I think we all have to just accept that racism has and will always exist. Any person who loves their race is 'racist'.
We pick and chose stories to say one race is more racist than another. Does anyone remember when all the white farmers in South Africa were either killed off or their houses and farms burnt to the ground. I don't see how that is any less racist than the rest of it. We just chose to ignore these things.

My question is why do we only look at a segment of the truth? Shouldn't we look at everything? Shouldn't we question everything?

When a person gets to the point of self-rejection that they actually "love" their race or skin color, that it means that much to them, I think they should just lock themselves away, or at least be put on display so we can laugh at them and throw shit at them.

@Fred_Snerd Why does anybody want to live anywhere? Are you saying white people don't belong in Africa?

@nogod4me In your comment, what is the self rejection as it relates to love of self?

@beenthere Like religion, racism is one of the worst forms of ignorance, it is based on BELIEFS stemming from hate and exaggeration and is rooted in fear and insecurity.

"The fanatic is perpetually incomplete and insecure. He cannot generate self-assurance out of his individual resources - out of his rejected self - but finds it only by clinging passionately to whatever support he happens to embrace. This passionate attachment is the essence of his blind devotion and religiosity, and he sees in it the source of all virtue and strength - He easily sees himself as the supporter and defender of the holy cause to which he clings. And he is ready to sacrifice his life." - Eric Hoffer

@Fred_Snerd

Just saw your response to my comment.

"That was determined to be against farmers and not whites. However, why would white people want to be in South Africa, especially after making complete asses of themselves?"

Firstly, it was directly against the white farmers. You can say it was just against the farmers, but if all the farmers are white and if the only farmers who die are white, then you are creating a lie to make yourself feel justified in saying it wasn't a racist act against white people. Secondly, '"why would white people want to be in South Africa" they don't want to be there. THEY ARE BEGGING for HELP to get out of there. But because they have no and no way out they are trapped there. I would recommend that you watch the documentary 'Farmlands' to better educate yourself on the situation in South Africa.

You sound entirely ignorant, which at this point I expect from people like you. Please take the time to learn something so that other people don't have to listen to BS or false images you create to justify the movement you back up.

@Fred_Snerd Doesn't matter what they should do, they aren't doing it. I would send them money if I could. But right now I need all I have just to pay for my own living expenses. Once you've finished watching the documentary let me know. I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

@Fred_Snerd I see. Well hopefully you better understand the situation there.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:507839
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.