Agnostic.com

7 13

Today's hike: gorgeous wildflowers and not enough carbs.

"Tweetys!" Karen texted me yesterday. "Let's hike Upper Pipeline trail tomorrow. Tweetys are blooming." She hikes every day.

Today we hiked 7.5 miles total on Upper Pipeline trail. We never saw so many wildflowers there before. Ninety-nine degrees in the valley (in town), it was 76 degrees in the mountains. Sweet.

Tweety's Lewisia is an extremely rare wildflower that only grows in North Central Washington. A succulent, Tweety's grows on rocky cliffs and rockslides, between 4,000' and 5,500' elevation, facing northeast. It can be destroyed by wildfires.

Tweety's Lewisia looks like Hawaii in the mountains!

There are many types of lewisia flowers. Tweety's Lewisia was discovered by Professor Tweety of Central Washington University. He named them after himself.

We also found rare yellow Mountain Columbine (Columbine is usually orange) and for the first time, white Clematis that is normally blue. Looks like paper lanterns.

"I'm hungry," I said two hours after lunch. "You didn't eat enough carbs," Karen replied. She was right. For lunch, I brought fresh fruit and vegetables, meat and a few crackers.

Famished when I got home, I boiled whole grain noodles. "Now don't wolf this down," I told myself. Tomorrow will make muffins.

LiterateHiker 9 June 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Beautiful.

Was it seriously 99 deg? I lived in western Wa about 30 years ago and it never got that hot. Heck, I didn't even own anything with air conditioning ( and I like my cold 🙂

@wolf041

Today it was 99 degrees in Wenatchee, WA, and 100 in the Arctic.

@LiterateHiker but the Republicans keep telling us there is no global warming 🙄🤬

Beautiful l flowers! You have to be a nutritionist as well as botanist, meteorologist, geologist and several other things for the kind of hikes you take. Very impressive credentials.

@BudFrank

Very funny! Thanks for the compliment.

This is what Mountain Columbine normally looks like in WA State.

@LiterateHiker yes, the difference in color is distinctive. We have a special spider lily in South Carolina that has an orange color. I’ll have to get some pictures sometime

Gorgeous ❤️

loved your adventure as usual,but find it interesting and love where Tweetys Lewisia grows among the rocks

Great story and beautiful wildflowers.

More Tweety's Lewisia.

I like the second photo especially, it sets the flower in its environmental context perfectly, and makes me yearn for days in the hills.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:509171
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.