Agnostic.com

9 4

Recently, a trend has appeared to ignore punctuation. Email and texting is likely the main reason. But for us grammar nazis, that's a regrettable turn of events. Almost half of the posts I read here have punctuation errors or no punctuation at all. Which often means the meaning isn't clear. I'm not sure if people who don't punctuate their prose should be allowed in the house. [getpocket.com]

mischl 8 June 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Rereading a ‘block post’ lacking punctuation simply moves me on to another … I’ll assume, their loss ~

Varn Level 8 June 29, 2020

This is indeed a regrettable turn of events; you and I, mischl, must nonetheless strive to carry on as though nothing is amiss. Whenever we raise our concerns, we rightly expose ourselves to criticism, as others will scan our prose in search of errors. In my opinion, the lack of punctuation should be the least of our concerns anyway.

Punctuation errors or omissions, after all, may simply be the unfortunate byproduct of communicating via keyboards that are too small, or thumbs that are too big. This is more forgivable than a lack of paragraph breaks, which indicates a disregard for one's reader's comfort. Nevermind the failure to properly indent the beginning of a new paragraph, as this, too, can be explained by the limitations of the device in use.

I think paragraph indentation is a thing of the distant past. But what is wrong with leaving a blank line between paragraphs, as you did? We are not, after all, trying to save paper.

@Coffeo I agree. (Was my agreement not clear? I shall have to work on my communication.) My device will not even allow an indentation; every time I try, it automatically "corrects" me.

So it goes. The written word changes, and we must adapt.

Yes, but if you don't make errors, you will never catch a pedant, and I do like reeling in pedants. Nothing is more fun than watching pedants squirm and then sucking the juice out of them.

@Allamanda And. " The female of the species is far more deadly than the male." R. kipling.

I guess I don't see it. I took a scroll here and on my Facebook feed. Most things longer than one sentence are punctuated. It's too hard to read without something to break it up.

There are mistakes sometimes. Mabey its because it is conversation rather than formal text. Like the difference between just talking or giving a speech. Or maybe because almost everyone uses written word now instead of just the highly educated elite. Many times the lack of punctuation or unconventional punctuating is used to convey a point like casualness or a speech pattern.

It seems appropriate to me.

MsAl Level 8 June 29, 2020

It's most likely due to the texting not emails...

whachoomean

Seems like another 'dumbing down' due to technology.

and I believe that grammar nazis should be treated like all other nazis.

I probably fall into the category of "closet grammar nazi." I rarely point out grammar errors--unless I'm being paid to edit.

I searched in vain for a grammatical error in your post. It would have been fun to pounce on you.

Congratulations...I guess.

Take a closer look at this:
"Email and texting is likely the main reason. But for us grammar nazis, that's a regrettable turn of events."

Tell me what you think.

@Allamanda aw, jeez.. I stopped looking after I spotted the first🙂 I'm not really a grammar Nazi.. But I'll look again... Oh wait . my spell checker capitalized Nazi! Is that the second error? 🙂😉

@Allamanda OK, you got me.

What does this mean?

1. x and y ARE...

@Allamanda oh noooo! I missed that! I see it now.. Thanks muchly🙂

@Allamanda I would use “us” but I can see arguments for either usage. It depends on what words are assumed to be left out. “But for (those of) us....” or “But for we (who are)...

I like your use of the hyphen, turning “grammar-Nazi” into a single word. It is, after all, a single unified concept, and is spoken without a pause.

@Allamanda I admit that watching this is fun! "But for us" seems to be correct because "us" is the object of the preposition "for." Whereas "but for we" sounds very strange, indeed. "Email and texting is the main reason" is a lot less clear to me. Because "the main reason" is singular. To wit, turn it around: "The main reason is email and texting." In order to use the plural form of the verb, wouldn't we have to make reasons plural? That is, email and texting ARE the main REASONS?

@Allamanda At least 'are' and 'we' instead of 'is' and us'. Though I would also like to see 'to be' after 'likely, and reasons instead of reason.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:510483
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.