Agnostic.com

4 6

I’m so excited these came in today! I read the first two in 7th or 8th grade and have been looking forward to reading them again. It’s nice to have these stories as reminders of why I chose social work, specifically child welfare as a career. Not that I need reminders already, but it’s nice.

I’m going to start with the last one, “The Boy Who Carried Bricks”, written by Alton Carter, a speaker I’ll be seeing at a foster retreat in September. I’m just waiting on one more of his books that I ordered titled “Aging Out”. I can’t wait!

I definitely recommend the first two if you’re going into child welfare or any field where you’re likely to encounter children/foster children, thinking of adopting one day, or just in general. You never know who you’ll encounter that may have experiences similar to the authors of these books.

1EarthLovingGal 7 June 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am a social worker and can't read these type of books. I guess, because I see how badly people can treat each other, I limit my exposure to more than those zi try to help.

I am a social worker and can't read these type of books. I guess, because I see how badly people can treat each other, I limit my exposure to more than those zi try to help.

Cool 😎

bobwjr Level 10 June 30, 2020

I knew when I went into social work I couldn't work with children, but I also knew there would be wonderful people like you to be there for them.

@1EarthLovingGal when I was younger I wanted to work with teens. After I had children I I discovered I don't have the skill to work with kids. I'm working with substance abuse and a jail diversion program, helping to decriminalize addiction.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:510906
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.