Agnostic.com

9 13

A couple of people on here have suggested that masks are not necessary if you maintain "6' apart". Alrighty then, i guess that would be great if you REMAIN ROOTED to your spot & so does everybody else. But if you, or they, (or OMG both of you!) move one iota, not only do you enter the cloud of tiny droplets each of you emitted, but you start up swirling air movements that Carry your secretions...........WEAR A MASK , even if you do not have Covid, i want protection from your stupidity...nobody knows for sure how That spreads, either!

#Omg
AnneWimsey 9 July 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We have pretty high compliance where I live regarding wearing masks in public settings indoors, but masks are not required while walking or exercising outdoors.

When I'm out enjoying the fresh air, and pass folks close by, I smile and nod, or give a wave, but don't talk. It bothers me when my walking partner or the strangers I pass shout out a "Hi" Hello!" or "Aloha" at the very moment we are less than 6 feet apart, because expelling a cloud of droplets directed at a person is not a display or caring. I don't ask for people to shout out a greeting to me, I'd rather have the silent smile and nod, personally.

My various walking partners feel it's rude of me to give a silent acknowledgment, so I've explained my thoughts on the loud greetings, and how it spreads droplets unnecessarily, but we agree to disagree. I feel the less loud shouts, the fewer droplets we are spreading, while we're not wearing masks.

I have taken to walking alone a lot more, and giving far more than 6 feet space when passing folks on the path. I always have my mask in my pocket, to quickly put on, if I pass folks walking with masks, to show consideration for them, when appropriate spacing isn't easy.

The bottom line is simple. The more you do, the more you stay alone, the further apart you stand, and the more barriers to droplets you stay behind (screens masks), the safer you and everyone else is.

And the more people there are who do more, even mindlessly when the risk is tiny, the sooner it is all over. They are not either or options, they are more is better options.

That’s it, the more you compound the risk factors the worse the risk. Some might be 6 foot away and cough with a down wind... masks can only be good if dry. If wet they might hold droplets if fabric, but still better than none I think you’d have thought.

@girlwithsmiles With the distance thing of course you are into inverse square law at the very least. Which says that on a sphere, or any shape for that matter, doubling the distance mutiplies the surface area by four. Which means that, at the very least, doubling the distance reduces the concentration of droplets, to a quarter, in fact it is better than that because more droplets drop to the ground under gravity over distance as well.

Here in western Oklahoma we don’t have much Covid yet so I don’t think mask are necessary. Besides I’m a lip reader and it impossible to lip read anyone with a mask so I have a lot of trouble communicating with people wearing masks.

With that attitude (no need to be pro-active!) You are doomed! Do you not see what is happening to the rest of the country (Texas?) that had that same attitude???????

@AnneWimsey You sound like a typical Trump bashing left wing liberal idiot!

I will never go In the vicinity of other people without a mask .In fact I think the regular surgical masks that the majority of people wear are a joke and practically useless for the person wearing it .I wear nothing but the genuine N95 respirator masks .

@AnneWimsey I meant to say I wear the N95 NOT the KN95 masks.As you are probably aware the N95 is a much better mask .

To be fair, the actual information from my state government is to wear a mask "where six feet of distance is not possible".

I agree that doing both is just good common sense! But, it's easy to see how some would think it's either/or.

Bullshit about mask not needed, yes they are, just republican disinformation . You are very right about masks

bobwjr Level 10 July 1, 2020

Yes.. Of course! Wear a mask! What's so complicated?

Medical recommendation is both mask and 2 meter separation. Your breath can travel much further than 6 feet, without a mask.

As SukiSue calls them, Spreadators.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:511254
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.