Agnostic.com

1 4

Another friend recently posted a story from his youth and the visits to his grandma.

It reminded me of my Sunday and long summer visits to my great aunts in Faxon. Wonderful smothered Guinea hen ,corn on the cob out of the garden and the best homemade rolls you have ever tasted. An unbelievable dessert of strawberry short cake or her signature sour cream chocolate cake definitely helped develop my sweet tooth.

When they came to Oklahoma they got their farm through the lottery. At first instead of a well they had a cistern which was right next to the house. The top of the cistern was cement and it always puzzled me why they would not let me play on that cement. They kept worrying that it would fall in and I would end up in the cistern and drown. I've never heard of a cement lid falling in. Anyway that meant I couldn't play jacks or skip rope because everything else was dirt.

I hope most of my friends had the joy of living and growing up on a farm or at least visiting a real one . There is nothing else in the world quite like it.

Lorajay 9 July 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I spent a lot of time around farms and my first paying job was working on a Mennonite egg farm. But even before that, my Dad was in an agricultural fraternity at Penn State, and most of his frat brothers went into some kind of farming, so I got to spend a couple of weeks on their farms over the summers when I was old enough to do the work. One was a dairy, the other a turf farm.

@Allamanda That's it! Acres of lawn grass! He was a nice guy and he had too many people working for him, so that was an easy couple of weeks, just riding around on a mower.

I bet you didn't have an easy summer working in that dairy.

@Lorajay as soon as I got out of car they told me to change clothes, we had hay baling to do! For the next three days! I had blisters the size of acorns. πŸ˜„

@Allamanda there are a couple of big turf farms here in the Lancaster area. It’s used for sport fields, new development lawns, even lawn repairs.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:511543
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.