Agnostic.com

10 1

Is it possible to have an intuitive experience that disregards time and space?

Razorjelly 7 Apr 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I suppose having created the post, it's only fair that I share my own experiences with this kind of intuitive transcendence. The way I experience this most often is thru art. That a'ha moment when the art just grabs me by the throat. It's then that I realize...I am that. I am the very radience and energy that is speaking to me thru the art. Happens when I look at the stars too.
The other experience I want to mention is something I have only witnessed as I am sure all of you have at some time in your life. Or at least have heard of a similar story. I once saw a man jump off a boat into an alligator infested river to save an elderly man who had fallen overboard. When the old man hit the water 6 or seven gators along the shore immediately entered the water and made a B line for the old man. The man that jumped in to save the old man was a regular guy. Just happened to be on the tour with his wife and daughter. This guy didn't go to save the old man because he wanted to, or because it was his duty. He suddenly had an impulse to save the old man. With total disregard to the most powerful law of nature...self preservation he suddenly experienced another set of laws that caused him to jump into gator filled water to save a stranger in peril. Schopenhauer would say this is because he and the old man are one. This is a metaphysical realization transcendent of time and space. It is the realization that separateness is secondary and that the separateness is a function of the experience within time and space. So he was able to transcend time and space and become one with the other. Schopenhauer talks about this in depth in his paper called Foundations of morality. It's an easy read.
One last thing I need to tell you... both men were killed by alligators that day.
Only kidding.....just the old man got eaten.

so you are saying that transcendence of time and space put him out of the reach of the alligators.

@hankster oh no, he just wasn't a fast enough swimmer to reach the old man in time. Transcendence happened in the action of jumping into danger. When he identified himself as the other. As if a reflex. It ended when the gators had the old man in their grasp and he swam back to the boat. Gators are apparantly much faster in the water than humans. On a positive note...the old man achieved transcendence in death.

@Razorjelly this identifying as the other or realizing non-seperate stuff.....is this a realization of the conscious self or the lizard-self? you compare to a reflex, but transendence to me implies understanding. perhaps an instantaneous judgment call. Is it a result of being a human, or a human being?

@hankster transcendence is beyond unerstanding, beyond reason or logic. It's getting in touch with the unknowable. It's the moving out of the world of phenomenality and becoming part of the dreamworld. Phychologically it's the total annialation of the ego.....maybe. Some say it only happens on Tuesdays. Who knows for sure. But I always look forward to Tuesday. Always look forward.

Tuesday's do seem to be at the forefront of today's imagination. one more thing I'd like to understand though, this dream world ,the state of transcendence exist outside of time and space or just without them.

Yes, but I think intuitive is not a correct word for it. Meditation (no thoughts) with eyes open, especially observing nature without thought becomes attention, pure attention. A couple of quotes that refer to this follows:

“If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.”

― William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell

A Clear And Quiet Mind Can See The Eternal - Jiddu Krishnamurti

You mean like have a good time no matter where you are? I’ve heard that before. Yup. ?

I'm not even sure what that would look like :0

Yes, time and space are not essential in the mind, in fact neither exists inside the mind.

Yes. Many times I've gone to a place for the first time and it feels like I've been there before.

Yes take some good acid

Our experiences of time vary considerably according to our perception of time in any given moment. There is clock time and psychological time. For something to "disregard" space it would have to be non-spatial and even that seems impossible to imagine. Were it possible to have such as experience that you mention above and other than mentioning it what could be said about it?
I have heard people say that in meditation their experience of time slowed down or stopped. People who had a close call with death say that time froze but these experiences occured within space because without one how can you reference the other?

I have some experiences of memory that give me the impression that some things (everything?)--rather than having "happened"--are happening all the time. I can recollect some things so strongly, intensely, vividly, that I feel like I'm having the experience all over again.

When I reflect on theories of multiple/infinite universes and current understanding of the nature of spacetime, my experience of memory seems uncannily congruent.

Not sure if that's what you meant by "intuitive experience"...

interesting. I'm curious...has the sense of congruence increased over time?

@hankster it's a fairly recent reflection for me so I'm going to have to contemplate it some more before i have opportunity to notice any trends.

Deep meditation?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:51234
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.