Agnostic.com

5 1

What's the difference between patriotism and jingoism?

Patriotism is defending the Constitution and the rights and ideals therein. For example, if someone takes a knee during the national anthem, a patriot would see that as an exercise of one's right to protest peacefully. A patriot believes criticism of corrupt government is not only permissible, it's necessary. Patriotism doesn't mean you must never find fault with your government and you understand that hugging the flag is not being patriotic, it's just being dumb.

Jingoism is nationalist fanaticism. It's being outraged by anyone daring to criticize America as anything less than the greatest country on earth. They love the flag but have NO idea what it actually stands for. They love authority and think that's how democracy works -- through force. They never apologize for anything and they scream their undying love of country in your face so if you don't love America as much as they do, get the f--k out.

I'm posting this because I had an argument with a Repub friend of mine the other day when I tried to explain to her that she spoke more like a jingoist than as the patriot she always describes herself to be.

Agree? Disagree?

Sgt_Spanky 8 July 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thank you.
I loved the post very much and got inspired to make one just for friends overseas. All are elementary school friends, we were together in the same class , same school, 8 hours a day for 10 years but other than the fun and friendship there was nothing else on mind really.

30 years on, all of them have become conservative, religious. What a difference the environment and brainwashing makes!

That's a pretty good description. Most Americans however, have never heard of jingoism. I think if they'd learned it in public school, they'd be less gullible when they got older.

Very true. Jingoism is false ultra nationalism.

TOTALLY Agree! Well stated!

I've never heard the term jingoism. Where does it come from?

I'm glad there is a way to describe that aggressive faux patriotism that so many on the right like to shove down everyone's throats.

Old term i think from the 1800's

I don't know the word's etymology. I'm sure you can find it online if you're curious enough.

It refers to a Chinese woman pirate named Xing Ghau, who became a fanatical nationalist in her later years.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:513794
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.