Agnostic.com

2 1

Haahahaha.. Gotta hand it to Subaru for this one. Well played!
[curious.com]

It's Flashback Friday! Enjoy this favorite from the Curio Cabinet archives.

LGBT Pride Month is winding down, so let's talk about cars. In the early 1990s, Subaru was a small car company struggling to compete with their much bigger Japanese brothers, Toyota, Nissan and Honda. The one bright spot in the Subaru lineup was the newly released "crossover" 4x4, the Outback. The company decided its best chance of survival was to focus on niche groups that were already attracted to their flagship product. So the marketing team identified four niche markets who liked the rugged and practical Outback: educators, health-care workers, IT professionals, and outdoorsy people. But then they noticed that several US locations were buying the Outback in disproportionate droves: Northampton, Massachusetts and Portland, Oregon. In those areas, the buyer was often a single woman head of the household. Compared to the overall population, single women in those areas were 500% more likely to buy an Outback. Eventually, with the help of focus groups, the Subaru team figured out who these single "head of households" in trendy towns were: lesbians. So they launched a new advertising campaign around this taboo demographic. Their messaging had to be subtle, so they spoke to their target market in code. One ad showed a car with the license plate "XENA LVR" in reference to the popular TV show Xena the Warrior Princess—whose two main female characters were widely assumed to be in an off-screen same-sex relationship. Other ads had double-entendre tag lines, such as "Get out. And stay out." and "It's not a choice. It's the way we're built." That last one ostensibly referred to the fact all Outbacks came with 4WD. Uh huh. Subtle or not, the strategy worked. Subaru regained its footing and today it is the fourth highest-rated car company by customer satisfaction. Pride.
More about this Curio:
Priceonomics: "How an Ad Campaign Made Lesbians Fall in Love with Subaru"

Captain_Feelgood 8 July 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes good advertising and okay cars I gave up on dirt burners.

Subaru is and was owned by Fuji Heavy Industries. A Mega Giant. Yes as a nameplate Subaru was a new brand in US. They have a loyal niche and AWD SUVs are very popular now. I don't like Subaru Outback. Just me.

barjoe Level 9 July 10, 2020

'a new brand in US'?? They've been here sense 1968. But that aside, by all means, don't buy one if they don't tickle your fancy. 😏👍

@Captain_Feelgood They were new back then. Datsun and Toyota were here way longer. Subaru 360. It had 2 cycle scooter motor. Toyota Corona and Datsun 510 were real cars. Honda came out with 600 1970 but had motorcycles here for 20 years. Subaru wasn't really in the game yet in.'68 I remember a car called the Justy in.80s. They have a loyal following and their owners take care of their cars. They're better than Nissan but they aren't bulletproof like Honda and Toyota. The have boxer engines, they're interference engines and they're not that reliable. Some people love them. I'm a Toyota guy.

@barjoe This article is about the Outback in the 1990s. Subaru's first dealer/headquarters was here in 68.. not saying they were big players or anything. The other Japanese componies came in the mid 50s if I'm not mistaken, so I don't see how that makes that much differense after 40 some years. But yeah, Honda, Toyota and Nissan have always been bigger fish in that pond for sure.. I've had a Nissan truck and loved it.. I have a Kawasaki motorcycle now and love it. (Not as much as my BMW though) Japanese are hard to beat when it comes to quality.

@Captain_Feelgood Nissan has gone way downhill Frontier is still a decent truck. My neighbor bought a 2 year old Titan, real cheap. He likes it.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:514044
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.