Agnostic.com

4 7

LINK The Psychology Of Fake News : 13.7: Cosmos And Culture : NPR

The problem today is threefold. First, because of technology, anyone in the world can be a source of news. To get people's attention, one only needs to be clever enough to excite the interest of enough people in order for your message to go viral. One way to do this is to put your message in the hands of social media bots, machines whose sole purpose is to fool social media into thinking they are real people so that their contribution counts (e.g., by massively increasing the number of "likes" on Facebook). Success has little to do with the truth of one's message.

zblaze 7 Apr 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Question everything, believe nothing.

When Trump came along claiming "fake news" the people I work with (mostly Trump supporters) did not get it when I mentioned that he had no handle on fake news. They simply said that Trump was only pointing it out and that there had always been "fake news." Nobody wanted to address ideas of where Trump got his news and how he would know the difference.
Can a Trump supporter honestly assume that the Mercers and the Kock brothers (with others) are creating an oligarchy in America so we can all know the truth? How can we suddenly assume that Steve Bannon, Alex Jones, and others like them are concerned about us when they support armed rebellion and taking over the government by force? These people sell survival foods and other items wanting you to buy some and support them fully. They are also the authors of scripted "fake news."
Although we have always had "fake news" what Trump and friends have created here is a situation where they want us to believe Trump without question. This is important to them and dangerous to us. With the help of Sinclair Media Group our dear leader's message is coming across daily in some areas.
Let's just take the immediate need of 4000 National Gaurd troops at our border with Mexico. Has anything happened there? No. It's all still the same as it ever was. What is the message here? It is to let us all know that Trump and the GOP cares about illegal immigration. They are putting on a show about this and the Dems do not care at all.
This is an example of the psychology of fake news. They want us to know this in November of 2018 so it's time to demonstrate it now.

As one of 45's "hidden advisors" (my words), Jones, of Infowars, had Ted Nugent on recently, whereupon Nugent, being a rabid firearm advocate stated that liberals and Democrats should be "gunned down like rabid coyotes." This was in a news article I read this morning. Fake? I don't know, but I doubt it. From all reports I've heard about him since the Florida school shooting, it seems he's gone off the deep end. It will be interesting to see if 45 or any of his minions comment on Nugent's supposed call for mass murder; after all, Nugent is a diehard supporter of the current administration.

@Condor5 Correct, and did Nugent really say this. Very likely. Will Trump or anyone in his administration call Nugent down for it? Not likely. These people are dumb as rocks. They cannot see that Jones and Infowars (along with others) are pandering to a crowd to sell a product. Brietbart does the same thing.

As I expected from NPR. Nice job of laying out of the relative narrative. But it lacks any real substance towards the reader of who. Or really what to look for and how to go about avoiding fake news. O! wait! Who! That one seed was planted wasn't it."The new administration". I listen to NPR 5 days a week for several hours a day. They have as much fake news with a strong sense of biasness as those on TV and radio. It was horrific during the primary's and for some time after the election cycle. They are one of the democratic party's biggest distributor's of managed perception being waged on the population.

Reminded me of the line by Terry Pratchett in 'The Truth'
“A lie can run round the world before the truth has got its boots on.”

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:51446
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.