Agnostic.com

5 0

I’ve never been a believer.
I see people mention deconversion.
Could you describe what that means to you?

Annaleda 8 Nov 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was raised white Southern Baptist. I was indoctrinated from birth. I don't know for sure if I ever truly believed but I know that by my sophomore year of high school I clearly no longer believed any of it. For me it means coming to the realization that everything you have been told is a lie and deciding to live in the real world of truth.

I think "deconversion" is just a loss of faith in believing in the ridiculous. The word itself only has meaning to religious persons, who view any change in beliefs as a conversion process, when loss of faith is actually the emergence of rational thought... a concept they are unfamiliar with and have trouble comprehending.

I am not sure what they mean by deconvertsion. It is not a phrase in my vocabulary.

I would guess that to most of us here it just means losing our belief in a particular religion and in god in general. I was raised a JW and then at about 38 I began having doubts and losing my faith so I was deconverted from being a JW.

gearl Level 8 Nov 25, 2017

I have only seen that word here. a bit confusing since it implies the person was converted in the first place, or changed from another point of belief and on to something else

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5147
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.