Agnostic.com

5 3

LINK Could An Old Tool, UV Light, Help Kill Airborne Coronavirus? : Shots - Health News : NPR

This may be a viable solution for minimizing transmission risk in some high risk public places.

Amzungu 8 July 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Geebus, you just saw that clip of drump recommending 3 things...injecting or drinking bleach, and light "inside"? Welcome back from Pluto

I tend to actually read a posted article before commenting OR insulting a poster's intelligence. To each their own...

@Amzungu I for one am Sick To Death of these false-hope drivel posts. They are Cruel! And could cost lives, exactly what drump does/did with his drivel. Try getting where people are going before posting unwarranted criticism! Or, STFU if you do not understand things...you ccould look waaaay more intelligent, ya know?

@AnneWimsey
"Try getting where people are going before posting unwarranted criticism!"
You mean like you did, by actually reading the article before critically commenting and insulting my intelligence? Nothing you are saying applies accurately in any way to this post content or myself. But I admit, you are not likely to understand that until you actually read the article.

@Amzungu you are so foolish as not to recognize one sarcastic comment followed by another plus the explanation? Geebus.........

Interesting.

It could be fitted into airconditioning units as an "air scrubber", including on planes. One could even fit extra "air pumping" units to disinfect the air, but the overall effect would probably only account for a 10% reduction in transmission rates. Still, that's a help.

Petter Level 9 July 14, 2020

Certainly good ventilation is helpful so this guy may be on to something
[msn.com]
The link doesn't work but it is about the engineer working for Fiat who designed ABS for cars. His idea is for a small device that would sit on the table between two people and it would redirect the air and any droplets back to the person speaking. Sounds interesting.

@Moravian Very, especially for anyone farting. They'd never escape it!! 🤣🤣
Actually, a small, lightweight perspex screen on a folding stand would work equally well. Let's patent a design and get rich.

@Petter Especially useful if your dining partner speaks with their mouth full and sprays their food at you.

@Moravian That's our first marketing slogan. "Blocks accidental food spray whilst speaking".

Apparently UV radiation at a wavelength of between 200 and 280 nanometres can kill some viruses so it is a possibility.The light source could be screened from customers to avoid damage to them.

I have used a UV wand for water sterilization when in rural Kenya for years effectively. Actually tested the product in the Microbiology lab I worked in against everything I could grow there and it worked very very well, and though I only worked with bacteria and not viruses, the technology is solidly proven against many viruses as well. It is the proper application in varied spaces that would be the issue, but I certainly hope this is further investigated.

@Amzungu Certainly worth further investigation and if there is money to be made I am sure it will be.

@Moravian At this point, I feel like I should just say thank you for not thinking I was suggesting you shove a UV wand up your arse to cure Covid-19. 😉

@Amzungu Ha ha. I'll leave that to President Trump

This will work. If it works for Sars-1 it all work for Sars-2.

barjoe Level 9 July 13, 2020

The technology definitely works. It will be a matter of appropriate and effective application and use, but I can't help thinking it's a reasonably viable option for at least some spaces.

@Amzungu It could remove airborne virus but it wouldn't prevent transmission person to person

@barjoe Right, but we're not likely to find a magic bullett with this one, so we are going to need multiple tools in the tool box.

@Amzungu Thing is airborne and surfaces aren't the main source of transmission. It's person to person contact. Social distance wear mask and wash hands.

@barjoe America isn't doing such a bang up job with those risk reduction actions alone, and once things start opening up more, and winter comes, I think we're going to see a lot more airborne transmission in closed spaces.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:515170
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.