Agnostic.com

4 4

Well --- I am starting to understand "mansplaining" and I'm going to be more careful from now on about making sure I don't do it to other people, men or women!

Observer-Effect 7 July 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yep, women do it too, to men and other women. Good on you to recognize what it is and be conscious not to do it.

Women on my mother’s side were not traditionally passive or passive-aggressive and I’ve never gotten along well with traditional women. For a while after I started dating I wondered if they were all masochistic.

Systemic sexism is as prevalent as systemic racism. An example I've noticed on this site is the absence of gender-inclusive language, like "humankind". Thank you for raising this issue.

"Humansplaining"? 🙂

@Observer-Effect no, no, "mansplaining" is a thing Men do, so the term is properly descriptive.

@AnneWimsey But . . . less frequently than men, but I have had women condescend to me in the exact same way!

@Observer-Effect yes, but you don't call it "mansplaining", do you? You call it "being condescending" or something similar......

@AnneWimsey Yeah I don't usually say "mansplaining" either, I usually say things like "arrogant asshole"! 🙂 Here is a graphic I love, and I use it to poke fun at myself often as well!

@LovinLarge Never confuse English language with gender. Our species is called "man" is it not? Therefore we are "mankind". The person in charge of a committee is not the chairdog, but chairman. If the chairman's gender is important, then the correct expression is "lady chairman" although in certain cases I might accept "chairbitch" as an excellent description 🤣😂
When generalising, the rule in English (and many languages) is to use the appropriate gender pronoun where a single sex is implicit, or the male if it applies to both sexes.
Thus, "The successful candidate will be expected to ...... etc. He will also be responsible for ....."
should be used for jobs applicable for men only AND for either gender job offers. "She" is only used for females only jobs. The French understand this rule, so why can't certain English speakers?
OK. Lesson over.

@Petter I have held the position of chairman in several organisations, and each time I’ve had to insist that I was called chairman, and not “chairperson “ or even worse....”chair”, as I hope I could never be confused with an inanimate wooden object!

@Marionville Hooray. An educated English speaker. But then, the educated Irish and Scots always did speak better English than the English!
I'd vote for you as lady Mayor any time.

@Petter ...and I will hire you as my Election agent ! 😁

@Petter I'm not confusing anything. Progressive countries began to adopt gender-inclusive language some time ago. The appropriate use of language changes over time.

@LovinLarge You're possibly confused. Next the "politically correct" lot will insist on adding words like "shehe" to their vocabulary. Perhaps English needs to use the neuter word, "it".

@Petter I'm not confused about anything and I'd appreciate it if you would stop saying that I am.

Congrats..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:515440
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.