Agnostic.com

4 11

Today's hike commemorates 1910 Wellington, WA train disaster.

With a high of 93 degrees in Wenatchee, today Karen and I hiked Iron Goat Trail near Stevens Pass for five miles. It was deliciously cool walking inside a mile-long, cement protective train tunnel built in . It felt like being in Europe.

Iron Goat Trail on Stevens Pass is on an old, abandoned railroad bed with iron spikes still in the ground beside the trail. Wooden ties rotted long ago.

"Look! A bear clawed that tree," Karen said.

Unmaintained, the trail was badly overgrown. Karen and I cut down toxic, thorny Devils Club and Nettles by slashing the stems with our hking poles like swords. It was fun.

We walked through the site of the Wellington train disaster of March 1, . Commemorative plaques told the story. A huge Pacific storm hit with heavy snow. Lightning triggered an avalanche that slammed two trains- a passenger train and mail train- down into a deep canyon. Continual blizzards and avalanches prevented rescuers from arriving.

In , coal-powered rotary snowplows only cut through inches of snow per hour. Men shoveled coal into the snowplow, while others shoveled snow before and behind the snowplow. Meanwhile, 96 passengers and railroad employees- many injured- froze to death. There were only six survivors.

Wellington Train Disaster, WA

[history.com]

Photos:

1. In after the Wellington train disaster, this cement protective train tunnel was built to funnel avalanches over trains. This was the first cement train tunnel in the world. Wooden tunnels rotted away long ago, flattened by avalanches.

2. Mountain bluebells.

3. View from the trail.

4. Mountain Columbine flowers.

5. A bear clawed this tree trunk above my face level. I'm 5' 5" tall. A large bear.

LiterateHiker 9 July 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting story nice pictures this is a bridge that collapsed in PA during a strong storm in the eighties the bridge had been closed for sometime. Now it's a park kind of cool. 😁

A very interesting piece of History, o many deaths 😟 , I had envisioned the tunnel as a traditional one until i saw your pics , some more beautiful flowers,and breath taking views, Would be nice if they could at least cut the brush on the trail would be a good start ,Maybe a local volunteer work endeavour ,sounds like a fascinating hike, so much heat,,not easy hiking in high heat ,,Looking forward to your next adventure 🙂

@RoyMillar

Next time, Karen and I will bring clippers and gloves.

Great pictures as usual! Interesting history lesson too

@BudFrank

Thank you. I appreciate you.

Cool, thanks for sharing!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:516091
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.