Agnostic.com

8 1

Do you think majority Christians have

Actually read a bible?

Hcodder 4 July 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maybe 10%; I'm amazed at how little most of my Christian friends know about the bible, and as the atheist I have to explain very basic things to them. My close friend Mike, claims that he reads a little of the Bible almost every morning. Yet, he didn't realize that only four of the alleged authors ever even knew Jesus in person, or that his name wasn't even Jesus. Maybe if it were more interestingly written, people would read it more. What I don't get is that very few people look to the Iliad and the Odyssey to guide them through their every day lives, yet it moves along at a much better pace.

The Whole Bible in 100 words.

First God makes the world and then drowns it, apart from one floating zoo.
Abraham goes to Egypt and Moses gets lost coming home.
Joshua invents demolition and genocide. Judges rule, Ruth gets married and Samuel creates Kings.
Esther kicks ass and how God gambles on Job is Chronicled.
Musical interlude.
Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel lament going to Babylon, Daniel becomes a lion tamer.
Loads of weird prophets moan a lot.
Jesus is born, talks, does conjuring tricks, dies, comes back, goes away, so his friends write letters. John moves to Patmos, eats some magic mushrooms and sees the apocalypse.

The End

So funny, yet so accurate! Love! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Best short summing after. "Goat herders guide to the universe."

No, and those that have self censor out the bits they are uncomfortable with.

NO. God is a very boring writer, should have employed a good editor.

Good question, I couldn't, or wouldn’t … what a bloody, convoluted, sickening waste of time.. It’s always appeared to me that β€˜christians’ lie about many things. Some, they refuse to attempt to understand, others, they dodge at all costs. My guess is their β€˜bible’ falls into the latter..

Varn Level 8 July 19, 2020

If you have an iPhone, download Atheist Pocketbook or Atheist Debate.

A lot of them can't read.

and those that can have the vocabulary comprehension of a parrot

I would guess, based on my own random sampling of them, that most have read selected verses. Very few have read more than about one tenth of it.

It seems to vary, in predictable ways, by sect. The Catholics and mainline Protestants I've spoken to read the least; the Jehovah's witnesses read the most. I'm not sure about the Mormons, and Evangelicals won't tell the truth anyway, so I don't bother asking.

Whether it's a GOOD thing for them to read their Bibles is something I'm not so sure about. On the one hand, many folks who actually read the thing end up rejecting it. On the other hand, those who read less are (hopefully) more able to adapt to social changes.

I know they pick and choose the parts of the Bible, which pisses me off even more. According to their holy writ, homosexuals are abominations, but then blatantly ignoring that eating shellfish, cutting hair, women wearing men’s clothing and so on and so on are also abominations!

Some of these people probably suffer cognitive dissonance.

@Hcodder Yes, this is true. But, for every Christian who picks the judgy, nitpicky verses to focus on, there is another Christian who picks the verses about grace. The former are a lot noisier, (and more of a threat to us!) but the latter are probably just as numerous. And yes, they probably BOTH suffer cognitive dissonance.

Still, I propose that it isn't the picking and choosing specifically that is the problem. Picking and choosing is necessary for such a convoluted, contradictory text. Indeed, this picking and choosing can be very helpful to us, if we choose to make it so. It's like an ink-blot test: what they see in it can give us some valuable clues to their characters.

Read some perhaps, indepth study of understanding that Jesus is Angelic lord of host Lucifer the devil, No.

Word Level 8 July 18, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:516716
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.