Agnostic.com

10 4

Has Covid19 increased your loneliness?

"Vivek Murthy was a newly-minted doctor when he realized that his thorough medical school education had fallen short. His training hadn't prepared him for one of the most frequent health issues he saw in the examination room: loneliness."
And:
"Years later, when Vivek became the 19th Surgeon General of the United States, he witnessed a "dark thread of loneliness" in his conversations with Americans across the country. Loneliness, he realized, was more pervasive than he'd thought, and was bound up in other health issues in complicated ways. He calls loneliness "the great masquerader"; it often manifests as other emotions, such as anger, or through behaviors, such as drug or alcohol abuse."

[npr.org]

I posted the above back in April but it received no notice or comments so here it is again in a different presentation & group!

FrayedBear 9 July 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No change

bobwjr Level 10 July 20, 2020

A bit. Living on an island one gets used to being in smaller groups. Now we all seem to connect via Zoom.

Good idea.

I'm so numb I don't even know if I'm more lonely or not.

We used to jokingly say to people complaining of pain anywhere but on their thumb " just let me hit that thumb with a sledge hammer so you will not feel your appendicitis or broken leg etc.".

Read my reply to Jess below.

@FrayedBear I'm familiar with the technique of distraction. But I'm not keen on regimentation.

@BitFlipper -orses for courses.

Everyone has a different level of coping. I classify myself as a loner. I enjoy interaction with some of my fellow humans but soon find myself retreating behind the invisible barricade of quiet solitude.
I think there have been more moments when my anxiety level is greater and that may be MY response to loneliness or not. Since testing is an issue here among the ignorant in America going to the store jacks up my anxiety level.
Keeping to schedule is important, your advice to Jessjmv is excellent.
Those hardest hit are the people who enjoyed/required the crowds at bars, parties, packed outdoor and indoor activities, etc. and are suffering. 😟

No it hasn’t...but then I wasn’t lonely before COVID and the lockdown. I still keep in contact with all my friends, albeit more by text, phone or social media, rather than face to face. I live on my own in any case, so was used to spending most of my time on my own, and I’m lucky to enjoy my own company.

No. Not really I still have as much contact as ever with my one best friend, and all other social contacts remain about the same. But I think that it must have hit a lot of people hard, if they were dependent on clubs and social groups for human contact, then that is gone completely.

No, Covid 19 hasn't increased my loneliness. I was just as equally lonely before all this started. 😟

Have a look at "Tales from the Lockdown" or "Passions".

I'm in the same place.

To a degree.

I've been a loner for much of my life. I am probably one of the few people that I know that hasn't had too much of a loss. This isn't to say that it doesn't effect me though.

Nope. I’m an introvert who’s worked from home for 5+ years, so I’ve been one of the lucky ones.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:517023
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.