Agnostic.com

6 0

Does anyone else find it odd that (as far as the Constitution of the US) we are to be in "pursuit of happiness" and to never actually attain it.

Conversational 4 July 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is the exact wording "WE hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" What do find problematic with this idea?

That's not the Constitution, that's the Declaration of Independence.

Thanks for the correction.

Usually as you get older/get more life experience your definition of "happiness" changes.

Even then, I’m sure they realized some would ‘never find it.’ But they attempted to allow us the opportunity, which I appreciate 🙂

Varn Level 8 July 20, 2020

The unalienable right to the pursuit of happiness is from the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution. I think you would gain perspective by reading it in context. I don't think happiness can be guaranteed but your right to seek out the means of attaining it can and is.

Thanks for the correction. But do you know what I am asking? Inalienable rich to pursue happiness instead of the right to just live happily without having to seek it our through work and financial gain...

@Conversational There's no presumption of work and financial gain implicit to happiness.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:517043
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.