Agnostic.com

4 2

So there are a bunch of things I should do today but like every day in recent months, I am more likely to do nothing than the host of "productive" things I should do. Anyone else in this kind of a rut?

MyTVC15 7 July 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was actually "hoarding" things to do, to have something to look forward to, I guess. Now i just do stuff.. it is.So hot, will wait until evening to cut down the dead tree.....

will wait until evening to cut the grass. I get that.

I've been hoarding things to do for decades. Just a few days ago I created a place to store my clean clothing. It wasn't working to just pile it up on the bed anymore.

I am not, but I certainly have been. For me, it was more than a rut but I don't know about you. It passes for some, others have to reach out for help.

Even now, I do have to force myself to do some of the things that I don't want to do because there is no one else to do it. At my lowest, I recall forcing myself to do one productive thing each day, otherwise that day would pass and I would never again get to make anything of that particular day. Can you do that?

at this point I have no idea where to go for help. I have been unemployed for several weeks and for some reason am not getting unemployment and I have been on hold for over an hour with their office. I tried to get things straightened out a few weeks ago and was on hold for three hours so that is what I am expecting for it to be today. meanwhile I also have no health insurance and am going around in circles over that. heck I still haven't gotten my tax refund that I filed for in february-no one answers the phone at the IRS either. So with all these issues I freaking out and find it so hard to do anything, even to feed myself. Sorry, I am just venting and have no where to turn right now.

@MyTVC15 No apology necessary. Venting is acceptable. I know your situation feels overwhelming but only you can fix it or at least take all the steps necessary to fix it. Here are my thoughts:

Above all else is always self-care. Properly eating, drinking, sleeping, exercise and keeping your home decent are critical to physical and mental health. I knew a guy who told me he was so depressed all he ate for 2 years was hot dogs because he had no interest in meal planning. At least he ate. There is no shame in going to the food bank. I have gotten some excellent meals to take home from there.

The next step is to solicit the assistance of anyone you know and trust to help in any way they can, if only to listen.

The next step is to apply for Medicaid in order to get your medical needs met, as we should all be entitled to.

When I have difficulty with a gov program, I go to the local office in person and I assure you, they know I mean business. You must pursue that tax refund and those unemployment benefits until you get them.

Everything else can wait until these things are accomplished. You hear the saying "one day at a time" but some days it is one hour at a time and some days it's just one foot in front of the other, but at least you are moving in the right direction. I want to to accomplish at least one productive thing today please.

@LovinLarge Thanks, I know you mean well, but I have already been turned down for medicaid. I have no one to rely on and Government offices are not open right now, so I am at the mercy of the people picking up the phone at their houses and leaving me on hold for hours or taking days to return my calls. And they usually call back the one time I stepped out the door. Just venting. Vomitting really. You are a kind person.

@MyTVC15 That is very generous, thank you. When someone is in need, it is everyone else's responsibility to step up, to the extent that they can. If you don't want to hear anymore from me, that is fair.

Medicaid is need-based. Have you reapplied for Medicaid since you became unemployed?

Stupid of me not to know that gov offices are closed. Doesn't sound like they have increased their phone operations either. You will have to become an expert at multitasking so that you can get other things done while you are on hold. For now, your job is going to be making phone calls.

You don't have any friends or family that you could have regular interaction with if only to ward off isolation? If not, you are not the only one. When your circumstances improve, socializing will become easier for you.

Are you taking care of yourself?

@LovinLarge We have had five deaths in the family since september. No one is up to listening to my problems right now. And no one lives near by. My fault for moving so far away.

@MyTVC15 Five deaths in one family is very sad, I'm sorry. Sometimes sorrowful periods bring families closer.

It is hard to help a stranger remotely. I'm sure some of the things I've said sounded stupid. I am willing to risk sounding stupid on the chance you may be able to find any of my words helpful.

I think that over time your situation will improve. I hope you will continue to reach ou and continue to try.

@LovinLarge Thank you for your words. It is a difficult situation and I just needed to vent it out. Nothing has changed right now in my situation today, but I do feel a bit calmer now, so thank you.

@MyTVC15 Pleasure. Anytime. Thank YOU.

@LovinLarge I just want to let you know that I got a job so I am feeling a little better now.

@MyTVC15 So on Tuesday you were in a rut and didn't want to do anything, and by Friday you had a new job. That is very impressive. Thank you so much for sharing it with me. Today is my birthday and it is the best news I've had all day!

@LovinLarge Happy birthday! I hope that it was a wonderful day.

@MyTVC15 Thank you, and thank you for playing your part in it. Best wishes on your new assignment.

It sounds to me like you need a new adventure, since travel is not on the table at this time, why not look for a new hobby or start a business. If the small challenges of everyday don't enthuse you any longer, then gamble on a big one.

We are all in that kind of rut all the time, the few people who are not, get called hyperactive, and end up medicated.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:517351
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.