Agnostic.com

12 12

Finding purpose in life can boost your health.

By Marta Zaraska, Medium.com.

"Ikigai is a word you hear a lot in Japan. People will readily tell you that “my children are my ikigai,” “my work is my ikigai,” or “volunteering for my neighborhood is my ikigai.” The word does not translate easily into English, but roughly it means “the reason to be living.”

"The top dictionary in Japan defines ikigai as “joy and a sense of well-being from being alive” and “realizing the value of being alive.”

"No matter the exact definition, however, many Japanese people believe that a culture of cultivating ikigai is one of the reasons for the population’s longevity. With an average Japanese person outliving an average American by over half a decade, there may be some important lessons to be learned here."

Volunteering as a college mentor gives me purpose in life. So does hiking. And loving my daughter. I get the greatest reward from doing work that helps other people.

I feel joy and a sense of well-being. I feel lucky to be alive, to have eyes to see, a strong body to hike steep trails, and a heart that soars with the exquisite beauty of the great outdoors.

What gives purpose and meaning to your life?

Photos:

1. Beautiful Spider Meadows, WA.

2. In June 2018, I took three young women I previously mentored on a day hike at Icicle Gorge.

[elemental.medium.com]

LiterateHiker 9 July 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My work since it can change lives~ Special Education. My children and grandchildren, so much joy and well being. I like the concept. And during Covid perhaps more people will have time to think on that.

I love this word and how the Japanese dictionary in Japan defines ikigai as “joy and a sense of well-being from being alive” and “realizing the value of being alive.” This is very uplifting and gives one purpose ,plus the positive vibes it creates within side you I have been to Japan 3 times in the 70,s and 80,s and I must say have seen this in there every day life ,one person in particular was our english speaking tour guide who took great pride and meaningful purpose in her job

You don't think the extended Japanese life expectancy might have anything to do with the lack of buckets of fried chicken and meals of a pair of triple burgers and a mountain of fries , not to mention how walking is common there?

@wolf041

Japanese people have a much healthier diet than Americans. It's clinically proven.

@LiterateHiker yup, primarily rice and a variety of veg with seafood or chicken as basically a condiment. It shouldn't be any shocker that they live longer.

@wolf041

In Jan. 2020, my hiking partner Karen and her husband, Jeff, spent two weeks in Japan. Jeff went to compete in an international cross-country ski race. The race was cancelled due to low snow. Global warming.

In Japan, they were shocked to find American fast food restaurants like Kentucky Fried Chicken and MacDonald's.

America has exported its unhealthy diet across the world, increasing obesity, diabetes and heart disease.

@LiterateHiker Look on the bright side At least the us is still exporting something...even if it is early death 😠

I get that from my Red Cross volunteering

Good point

bobwjr Level 10 July 21, 2020

That whole question of what is my purpose in life troubled me for 50 years. And by "purpose," I wanted to know "what am I supposed to get done while I'm here." Getting the answer caused a HUGE change for me. A change for the better. It let me relax and just do my thing, knowing that I'd go out of here with a great feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment.

mischl Level 8 July 21, 2020

What a lovely post. Creating or finding a purpose in life does bring happiness and a higher sense of self-esteem.

You pretty well nail it. Good health, which I've earned and enjoy working to maintain, both exercising and eating reasonably well. Being intellectually curious. There is always something new and interesting to learn. Having a forward-facing view: my best days are not behind me. They are right now, and getting better all the time. No, my life is not perfect, but that's part of what makes it fun.

Chocolate chip cookies or double fudge brownies. That's my answer to your question and I'm sticking to it. 😁 Oh yes I also agree with you, the pictures are great. 😉 And NECCO'S.

The hills are alive🎶🎶🎶

that picture looks like your ikigai!

Buddha Level 8 July 21, 2020

@Buddha

Exactly.

I so need to do this.

phil21 Level 7 July 21, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:517439
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.