Agnostic.com

8 9

Sad to see quality, specialty stores close.

Pier 1 is closing down in Wenatchee, WA. I'm sorry to see it go. Where else can you get woven rattan furniture?

When it wear out, I'll have to drive to Seattle. A 300 -mile round trip over dangerous mountain passes into Seattle's horrendous traffic jams, rain and no parking.

This week, I stopped at the Pier 1 "Going Out of Business" sale. Got place-mats at 40% off. Love how they brighten this bland tablecloth. Thank you, Pier 1.

I hate to see quality, specialty stores close. What's left, Walmart?

LiterateHiker 9 July 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Part of a trend that the pandemic has impacted only in terms of speed, not substance. Most retailers offer little more than the ability to see items in-person, and the cost of doing so is higher than sending the goods from a lower cost warehouse space. Pier 1 was "cool", but their business model was not sustainable. The same is true for most other retailers. As the digitally-native continue to become larger in number, America will need fewer and fewer physical stores. Specialty stores will survive, but they will have to be hyper-focused, with superbly curated goods.

Pier 1 went bankrupt and decided to close all stores and operations in the US. So has Hertz which used to be the #1 car rental company. The Pandemic basically killed them. J.C. Penneys and Neiman Marcus filed for Chapter 11 and will close about 40% of stores. Restaurants like Sweet Tomatoes/Souplantation, Noodles and Company will close all restaurants.

It is the local stores that have to charge a little more and give great service that are the first to go unless one makes an effort to do business with them even when it is cheaper to go elsewhere, especially the internet.

I have some nice placemats that night have come from there too. It is sad.

Looks great, the only thing that is missing is one of your glorious dishes.

It is sad to see them close ,we have Pier One here in Canada also ,but not sure of the status of the chain ,smaller stores are having a tough time these days especially with on line shopping

Have you considered etsy? Or other online shopping? I’m not a shopper and quite happy to “confine” myself to online shopping.

CS60 Level 7 July 24, 2020

@CS60

I shop online often because I can't find what I need locally.

Nice dining room table ☺😃

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:518411
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.