Agnostic.com

4 3

preheat cheat

normally I'm a pretty patient fellow I like to believe. but I really don't like the preheat wait. an oven can only take so much encouragement.

do you cheat the preheat?

preheat cheat

• 4 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 0 votes
hankster 9 July 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For some frozen things, I just put some butter, oil or fat on top, to stop them drying out, then pop them in and leave for a bit longer. It works well, they can thaw during the heating time, and leaving longer makes sure they cook through, the only problem would be drying out/burning on the outside, but the fat/oil stops that.

Definitely never with baking, but other stuff, depends on both my mood and the food.

hmmm....the moodie foodie.

@hankster Pretty much sums it up. I don't have much of an innate hunger drive. I need to be craving it to make it.

@Amzungu if I didn't have my Hunger Drive I'd be calling the Dr. that last sentence I'm gonna pass on.

@hankster I was on prednisone once for a couple of months for a migraine that wouldn't go away and that is the only time in my life I've ever 'felt' hungry. It was amazing. Otherwise, there are times when I'd be so busy I'd forget to eat and only notice after a couple days when my blood sugar dropped. As for the last sentence, my reference to food isn't relevant across the spectrum of cravings or drives.

@Amzungu sorry about the migraine, there's something really satisfying about satiating that hunger feeling.

@hankster Yes, indeed, there is.

I always preheat... Ovens, pans, pots..

only thing like that I remember preheating is a cast iron skillet for cornbread.

@hankster if you want a medium rare steak with a sear, preheating is helpful...

@Cutiebeauty I'll try to remember that. usually with the steak I head or the grill. is there something about a Sear that makes it better?

@hankster a sear seals in the juices and adds flavor.

@Cutiebeauty does it work if I'm going to cook a steak medium or medium well?

@hankster it sure does...

@Cutiebeauty next time it's raining and I'm thinking steak......thanks

I don't bake so that's the only thing that makes preheating an imperative. I've never used my oven actually. I store stuff in it. Stovetop and toaster oven.

barjoe Level 9 July 24, 2020

so....do you add boiling water? lay it out in the sun for awhile? just eat popsicles?

@hankster I cook for one.most of the time. I don't bake. I won't roast a turkey. Steaks no roasts. I can cook. Every chance I get to. To hell with the instructions my oven is filled with pots and pans and stuff which was supposed to be temporary 18 years ago. It became permanent. Oven's clean.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:518438
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.