Agnostic.com

3 6

LINK UN experts call for urgent release of Nigerian humanist Mubarak Bala » Humanists UK

If you haven’t been following the story, here is a quick summary: Bala is a former Muslim, now atheist, and the president of the Humanist Society of Nigeria. He originally made headlines in 2014 when he came out as atheist and his relatives had him committed to a mental institution. After he was released, he made the brave decision to stay in Nigeria because he wanted to fight for the rights of atheists and other oppressed people in that country. Earlier this year he made a Facebook post which was insulting toward the Prophet Muhammad. This prompted outrage among Nigerian Muslims and people started publicly calling for his execution. He was illegally arrested and transferred to the Kano region (which follows Sharia law and where blasphemy is punishable by death). He was never officially charged with any crime, yet is still in police custody after almost 90 days, in violation of the Nigerian constitution. In all this time he has been denied any contact with his lawyers or family. His friends are worried he may be being tortured.

kdmom 6 July 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was a teenager in 1993 when David Koresh and the Waco incident happened a few miles from me.
That was my first clear thought that SOME religious people were crazy...and in my town.

The year before I had heard of riots in India, of Hindus killing Muslims in a village, called a pogrom. I was shocked because I had always thought Hindiusm (some of my relatives are Hindu) as a peaceful nonviolent religion. (And now we have violent Buddhists too, smh). It was my first clear thought that any religion can turn good people into crazy people who do bad things (yes I know Hitchens popularized it, I wouldn't hear of Hitchens until a decade later.)

In 1997 the Heaven's gate ritual mass suicides happpened. I remember thinking how does anyone choose to die in a beautiful place like San Diego? It's crazy! Then of course the news brings up Jamestown. And suddenly this crazyness didn't seem isolated to the 90's. Maybe its just these isolated cult religious groups. You don't see that happening in mainstream religions.

In 2001, of course, 9-11 happened. And that's when I realized ALL religious people are crazy. Yes ALL religions. I lived in Texas. I saw first hand how religious people behaved and talked.

And then the Iraq war started in 2003..and is still going on.

That's when I made a personal breakthrough (obvious in hindsight):
We are talking about people who can be or have been convinced that an IDEA is more important than HUMAN LIFE. It's the same concept as killing and dying for your country.

It became very real for me: all religous people can, have, and will kill you in service to their god. They. Are. Crazy. Even the nice ones. More insidiously they clearly discriminate against you just because you are not part of their religion. Even the nice ones.

I cannot tell you how much I subconciously Iived in fear of religious people in the 2000s. If you told me you went to church, or mosque or temple...I would dissapear from your life.

Today I have young colleagues who come from a heavy religious background, and I can't avoid them due to work. It may not be fair to them, but I look at them as bad news waiting to happen. I pretend to be interested in their religion but sometimes I ask a dumb question that ends up poking holes in their logic and I back off. I never ever insult them or their religion. Remember, always: religuous people are potentiqlly psycho crazy killers.

This Nigerian dude...he didnt realize, much like I didnt realize, that religious members of his own community are crazy psycho killers who dress nicely and speak politely.

I hope he gets out of there alive.

Hinduism has become a political movement in India. Islamic extremism fuelled Hindu extremism. Now, Indian politics have become a fight between Hindus and Muslims. It is like fighting fire with fire.

He did realize. That’s exactly why he stayed in , because he knew he could make a difference. He’s extremely brave.

People do and can change. FFRF started and is now aligned with Richard Dawkins in what is known as the clergy project [clergyproject.org] Many church leader finally realize their career is bogus and want to escape. It is very difficult for many and it can cost them their jobs, family and reputation. In some parts of the world even their lives.

"Under international human rights law, Mr. Bala has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion. This right includes his freedom to have or to adopt a religion or belief of this choice, including his right not to follow any particular religion"- I wish all governments and societies around the world respected this.
This man is a true activist; risking his life to change his country for the better. I had never heard about this case before today, I wish these types of situations were more covered by the news.

The U.K. Government should be doing more to pressure Nigeria in this case, we need to make it clear that no country can remain in the British Commonwealth if it persecutes it’s own citizens for exercising their human right to hold and express humanist views.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:518522
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.