Agnostic.com

1 1

Will CPR Save Your Life ?

Will CPR Save Your Life? Study Offers a Surprising Answer

[usnews.com]

FearlessFly 9 July 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm not sure what your point is with this. You do realize that if one requires CPR, that without it, they are definitely not surviving. So, while the success rate may not be high, it's important to remember that without it in these cases, the survival rate is zero. Also 500 people isn't a very large cohort to be making wide generalizations from.

I do believe it is a good idea to have a conversation about it with your doctor. especially for those patients who might be "at risk".

. . . it is not MY point.

No one is suggesting that CPR should not be done . . .

The study is a survey of perceptions :

"In earlier studies, patients have pegged CPR survival rates at between 19% and 75%. But the real rate of survival is about 12% for cardiac arrests that occur outside hospitals and between 24% and 40% for those that happen in the hospital, according to the report published online July 13 in the Emergency Medicine Journal."

"For the new study, Bandolin's team surveyed 500 emergency department patients and their companions.

Fifty-three percent said they had done or witnessed CPR, and 64% had taken a CPR course. Ninety-five percent said their main source of CPR information was television."

@hankster that conversation is had with every single patient we do surgery on. It's a significant part of the informed consent process. It's also included in any ICU admission to the hospital. However, I do agree that patients in general need to take better charge of understanding their health and treatment options.

@Amzungu good.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:518714
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.